Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 7.3 diesel that won’t start after it’s been shut off and it’s hot outside you come back in about an hour or two hours when the engine is cooled off and it’ll start right up and runs fine has done it four days in a row when it’s 100° outside it just cranks over and doesn’t try to fire or anything. I have change the fuel filter and the crank position sensor on the front of the engine didn’t help at all. Any ideas would be great since I’m a long ways from a dealership and it doesn’t always do it

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
99% of the time for the 7.3l at least its the IPR/Wire pigtail to the IPR but you need to invest in a monitor that can read the IPR. ICP, and other sensors. Its worth its weight in gold for any powerstroke owner. I am not advising you got our and spend $300 on an OEM FORD IPR/Wire pigtail but only put a ford brand on it or you;ll pay twice. Invest in a monitor to read some sensors and go from there. Its gonna be easier for us to help you if we can see whats happeneng when the truck starts cooled off vs hot vs when it wont start etc. These trucks require more than the old gasser saying of fuel,spark, and air etc.

top two affordable ones are below:
A--laptop with usb to OBDII adapter with the free software forscan

B--iphone/andriod phone with forscanlite or torqpro and a bluetooth to OBDII adapter

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Chances are, what's happening is that, as the oil heats & thins, coupled with the softening of rubber parts (like the Injector o-rings), you're getting insufficient HiPres Oil (read as ICP pressure) to meet the PCMs requirement for starting. How many miles do you have on the engine & injectors? I'm going to assume that you've seen the SES light come on?

In any event, as Justin says and especially if you don't have a local dealership, you need to invest in the tools to investigate problems on your own...

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chances are, what's happening is that, as the oil heats & thins, coupled with the softening of rubber parts (like the Injector o-rings), you're getting insufficient HiPres Oil (read as ICP pressure) to meet the PCMs requirement for starting. How many miles do you have on the engine & injectors? I'm going to assume that you've seen the SES light come on?

In any event, as Justin says and especially if you don't have a local dealership, you need to invest in the tools to investigate problems on your own...

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has 108000 and I bought it with a 100000 4 months ago it doesn’t have any check engine or warming lights I have a hand held scanner but says no codes

·
Registered
931 Posts
It has 108000 and I bought it with a 100000 4 months ago it doesn’t have any check engine or warming lights I have a hand held scanner but says no codes
Follow their advice. No handheld scanners work unless the expensive ford or snap on ones.

You need an obd MX and forscan. Google Ford superduty diagnostics on the cheap. It's not as difficult as you think. If you can Bluetooth headphones you can do it.

And only get ford sensors from the stealership or a trusted online source. No auto store or flea-bay. If you put an auto store cps in get it out of there. I almost got tboned by an 18 wheeler when my cps cut out on a left turn, I had just enough to drift through the intersection. Ford cps no problems

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it to a friend with a better scanner it has a p1212 code and now it will still start and run fine but as it gets hot it will also die and not start I am thinking about trying to change the icp sensor and pulling of the black wiring protector so I can see if the wiring has some issues otherwise I have to haul it 80 miles to the nearest dealership any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
931 Posts
Got it to a friend with a better scanner it has a p1212 code and now it will still start and run fine but as it gets hot it will also die and not start I am thinking about trying to change the icp sensor and pulling of the black wiring protector so I can see if the wiring has some issues otherwise I have to haul it 80 miles to the nearest dealership any help would be appreciated
Take it to a dealership. No one can say anything but throw parts at it until you get the monitoring software setup and can post the vital signs when good and failing. Will see some change in something in the vital signs. You're asking people to diagnose something without proper information or without following the advice already given to you by multiple people for free. Just take it to the dealership or start throwing parts, icp, ipr, UCVH, hpoo, then injectors, then a motor...etc.

Just take it to the dealership or diesel shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Ahh, ...the sound of firing the parts cannon. The dealerships love that sound.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
OMG!!!

An ICP, or it's wiring, would be pretty far down My list (not as temp related as O-rings or an IPR would be...)

But,,, it's Easy and it looks like you're looking for Easy answers :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts