Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know best + cost effective + long lasting batteries to replace my two current batteries in my 2002 7.3 truck. Since I will be replacing both batteries do I need each one to be 700+ CCA or can I do lower? (I live in the mid-west re: cold weather...not northern Canada, but still chilly in the winter.) Thanks and please advise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just had to replace mine this week. I had 700’s previously hardly made it 3 years... I believe stock was 850, got those this time.

Get 850CCA. You say it’s cold there, glow plugs make a sizable draw on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 100Mile

·
Registered
101 Posts
And I got the Walmart Maxx, if the local interstate dealer were open on the weekend I would have got the green top. The Maxx ones have been subpar on longevity in my past 3 experiences.

If 2-3 good years on life is acceptable for you, I’d recommend the Walmart Maxx they run about 98$ apiece, just check them 3rd year first cold snap.

I was told around 180$ each on the interstate, that sounded high, but (purely based on others’ accounts) I would consider the Interstate route if looking for longer life.

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
two years strong on motorcraft from the dealer and not expensive at all compared to durlast from autozone or evers from walmart. Maybe 10-20% more. My 1999 7.3l doesn't struggle in -25 during peak of winter. I do plug in a battery tender if it sits longer than two weeks though. I had 6 yr old AAAs on there previously and wow they help up for being as old as they were lol. Just no local place to get them.

Personally buy from a place where you can meet in person esp helpful for warranty/issues vs trying to save $50 but not having a person forced to speak in person.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got 10 years out of the original Motorcraft batteries. When they died, I purchased a pair of DieHard AGM batteries. They are still going strong 11 years later. The DieHard AGM battery is no longer available, but the Odyssy 65-PC1750T is identical in every way ( Pretty sure Odyssey made the DieHard & relabeled it) The Odyssey battery is pricey, but averaged out over 10+ years, it's a decent deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with good ol' Napa 2 years ago, the batteries when I bought the truck were Napa and 7 years old when I replaced them.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE IN THE COUNTRY.....

IN MY AREA.....YOU CAN GET INTERSTATE BATTERIES FROM COSTCO AT A GOOD PRICE AND THEY WILL HONOR THE WARRANTY WITH NO HASSLE.....

·
Registered
305 Posts
People hate on the Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries but I've had them in 2 trucks so far with no issues. Right around $100 with a decent warranty and there's always a Walmart around to replace them. I put the warranty receipts in my glovebox. I accidentally killed a set (parasitic drain brought them down to dead-dead) and they replaced them without question

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The higher the cranking rating, the higher the number of plates in the battery. The longer the warranty period, the larger the sump under the plates is to collect normal shedding of material as the battery ages. (After the Interstate lawsuit a number of years ago, the industry has gone to a "free replacement" period, with a pro-rated period for the remainder. The longer the "free replacement" period, the better the battery). Another tid-bit regarding battery life expectancy is that batteries that live in warmer climates don't last as long as batteries in cooler climates.

Keep in mind that there are only 2 major manufacturers of batteries in North America. Johnson Controls, and East Penn. The various re-sellers like WalMart, NAPA, Costco, the chain stores etc. all sell batteries with their own label, but are actually made by one of these two manufacturers. My preference is East Penn, which are branded Deka for sale by their factory outlets.

EDIT: Here's an amusing blurb I found regarding several of the battery recommendations in this thread. They all come from Johnson Controls.

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put 2 Motorcraft 65 series 850 cca's in mine. They last forever and have great warranty. 3 year free replacement and 100 month prorated there after. I paid $122 each at the stealer near me. A little more then Wally World but much better piece of mind. JMHO

Reactions: 100Mile

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had to replace mine this week. I had 700’s previously hardly made it 3 years... I believe stock was 850, got those this time.

Thank you TripleStix. I figured as much as I too have to replace my two 700 CCA batteries in less than 4 years. I will go with 850s then. Approx what price did you pay for your two 850 CCA batteries? Trying to assess what brand battery to go with...all batteries are not the same quality or are they?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sorry...I just saw your other response

·
Registered
101 Posts
$98.76 each

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The higher the cranking rating, the higher the number of plates in the battery. The longer the warranty period, the larger the sump under the plates is to collect normal shedding of material as the battery ages. (After the Interstate lawsuit a number of years ago, the industry has gone to a "free replacement" period, with a pro-rated period for the remainder. The longer the "free replacement" period, the better the battery). Another tid-bit regarding battery life expectancy is that batteries that live in warmer climates don't last as long as batteries in cooler climates.

Keep in mind that there are only 2 major manufacturers of batteries in North America. Johnson Controls, and East Penn. The various re-sellers like WalMart, NAPA, Costco, the chain stores etc. all sell batteries with their own label, but are actually made by one of these two manufacturers. My preference is East Penn, which are branded Deka for sale by their factory outlets.

EDIT: Here's an amusing blurb I found regarding several of the battery recommendations in this thread. They all come from Johnson Controls.

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have had Die Hard , Motorcraft , Walmart Maxx. All are the same flip a coin.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Costco has interstate batteries for $100 a pop. They also have the agm batteries for (I think) it's
Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm on my second set of those Walmart batteries. They are actually pretty good. First set lasted 6 years with a flaky alternator. Overhauled the alternator and replaced the batteries with fresh ones. Under $250 for both and they last 6 years, not a bad deal at all. The other good part is there are Walmart's all over the place for warranty exchange if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went big and did the odyssey batteries. I’ve only got 6 months on them but I have high hopes and expectations!

I previously had Duralast golds and got 3 years out of the two sets of them I’ve had

1 - 20 of 44 Posts