Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2002 f250 7.3 and im having a few problems.

1. My transmission is shifting out of od into what I assume is neutral doing 80+ mph. Happens out of the blue, competely random, its done it to me twice in the last couple days when I was out for a joy ride. I slow down, and shift it into second, then back to drive and it goes away. I keep it under 75 and it doesn't seem to happen. Any advice on what to do here? I'm planning on changing the fluid and the filter to start. Fluid level seems fine on the dipstick. Temp gauge looks normal. Trans also has an issue where it doesn't go into second gear until 2500 rpms. I just manually shift it to second, then back to drive. Other than that it has been perfect for the 12k miles I have put on it since I bought it. Any help at all is appreciated.

2. Sway bar link ends are bending. I replaced them ~3 months ago because the bushings were shot. I replaced them with some $30 ones of off amazon (I believe the brand was Detroit Auto), and after about 2 days they were bent. I've put off replacing them again, but I'm starting to get paranoid thinking about what would happen if they snapped. These arent the greatest photos, but hopefully its obvious to see that the bolt that goes through them is completely twisted.

3. My pedestal is leaking a lot of oil down the back of the motor. I would like to keep my EBPV since in the winter it gets very cold here and I want to do everything I can to make this truck warm up faster, can I just re-oring it, or do I have to get a new pedestal and delete the EBPV?

4. Is this the stock interior for a 2002 f250 with an ex cab? I want to replace some worn out parts on the seats and I have no idea what my seats/center console are out of, they look nothing like any of my buddies 7.3 interiors.
Automotive tire Wood Tire Tread Fender

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Vehicle door Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

excuse the poor quality. My camera glass is cracked and covered in oil lol. Any help is appreciated, especially on the trans issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 F250 CCSB 6.7 4WD
93 Posts
Early 99 f350 drw experiences: The pedestal is rather inexpensive. Buy a new/rebuilt one and leave the EBPV if you want it. Be VERY careful to not crossthread the turbo to pedestal bolts. A previous owner had work done and the shop cross threaded them causing a bad seal and leak. Then i got a rebuilt pedestal and I had to send that one back because it had been cross threaded too with no thread chasing done. While you're at it and have the turbo off, rebuild it. The rebuild kits are inexpensive as well. Just make sure you use the appropriate grease on the orings and torque all bolts to spec. Be careful not to damage or bend the compressor wheel. I took the time and polished the turbo while it was apart. I had to replace the turbo up pipes also. The pipe o ring had worn the pipe from vibrations and created a leak and low turbo psi CEL. If you don't already have one, throw a turbo guage in. Nice to see the turbo health (relatively). All said and done was about 1500$. 400 of that was the new stainless up pipes. The up pipes didn't feel like an exact match and were a pain to get in, but a little magic and they sealed properly.

The 1500$ number included turbo gauge and pod, new intercooler piping couplers and clamps, new boost psi sensor, coolant reservoir, oil change, fuel filter, and probably some other misc stuff. Brought the 7.3 back to life after some overdue TLC.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
#1 Changing the oil & filter sounds like a long shot, I think you might have more serious problems, is the OD light (on the shift selector) blinking? How many miles on it? You might want to run it by a good Trans Shop...

#2 Those links went in "straight" ??? Ya gotta stay away from the cheapest parts you find on the net ;)

#3 So the pedestal itself might be leaking too, change the rings (don't buy cheap ones), but inspect the pedestal carefully when you have it in your hands.

#4 You're thinking you might find another, 20+yr old, interior to swap it out with? I donno, I think I'd take it to an interior shop and see what they could do for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The od light/button does not work at all. I have not checked the fuse. I probably should have a long time ago but just put it off. The truck has 326k miles. As far as I can tell, the trans is stock/the original.

Those links went in straight, drove it a couple miles, made sure they were tight, and then they bent.

I don't plan on replacing the interior, I would just like to replace the arm chair things if thats possible. They are very scratchy.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,255 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts