Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump went out and she ran dry. I managed to pull into a parking lot as she was dying, though. I've replaced the pump, changed the fuel filter, and verified that I have sufficient pressure at the bowl. The engine turns with the starter, but just won't catch and go. I've done the cranking for 10-15 seconds then rested for a while, but I've done it enough to run the batteries down by now. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank?

Fully charge the batteries. If the PCM see's less than 11.5 volts the truck will not fire

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is about half full. The pump is definitely pulling from it.

The batteries have been fully charged most of the times I've tried it. They're testing at 12.8 v right now. I even brought my multimeter.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Can you check fuel pressure? Just because its visually pulling fuel doesnt mean theres enough. Are you sure it was the fuel pump that went out? What led you to believe that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not easily. One of my test port plugs is frozen and stripped. I guess I only need to test one though. I'll try that tomorrow.

The fuel pump was making a grinding noise. I removed the line from the upstream end, and measured the output flow. It started off strong and dropped to almost nothing after a couple of seconds. Would have taken several minutes to pass a gallon. There was nothing obstructing the pickup. I replaced the pump and got the expected flow volume from the tank.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Not easily. One of my test port plugs is frozen and stripped. I guess I only need to test one though. I'll try that tomorrow.

The fuel pump was making a grinding noise. I removed the line from the upstream end, and measured the output flow. It started off strong and dropped to almost nothing after a couple of seconds. Would have taken several minutes to pass a gallon. There was nothing obstructing the pickup. I replaced the pump and got the expected flow volume from the tank.
Charge the batteries and go from there. Cycle the key let the pump run 3 or 4 times before you even crank it over It can take a bit for it to start

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, been doing this for several days now. I'm pretty sure I can hear it hitting on two or three cylinders, but it won't go on its own. Any ideas what else I can try?

I guess this really doesn't qualify for 911 any more, but eh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, been doing this for several days now. I'm pretty sure I can hear it hitting on two or three cylinders, but it won't go on its own. Any ideas what else I can try?

I guess this really doesn't qualify for 911 any more, but eh.
Is it really hitting or are you imagining it? I had a water in fuel light and the thing died while running and cranks for me...replaced parts and fuel, cycled etc but still just cranks...I'd like to know more possible solutions. I cycled the pump so much that my gp harness burnt out!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it really hitting or are you imagining it? I had a water in fuel light and the thing died while running and cranks for me...replaced parts and fuel, cycled etc but still just cranks...I'd like to know more possible solutions. I cycled the pump so much that my gp harness burnt out!
Yep, it was hitting.

It was a fault fuel pressure regulator seal. Fuel was flowing right back to the tank, and not through the filter to the heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts