Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I’m gonna get **** over this , but I’ve got a 2002 F250 4x4 7.3 with a 4R100 with 282k on the clock , the trans runs and shifts fine , doesn’t over heat or any other issue but the dam plastic radiator crack last weekend and while swapping it out I replaced the reservoir , all 4 hoses , thermostat. Now while removing the trans lines I just let them drain in a new & clean foil rib pan which drained maybe 2 gallons of fluid out of , my question is I ended up buying a new trans filter and fluid to do a change but was told not to do it or it would fail , now I’ve heard this is a no no with tran flushes but have never heard a strong argument on just a straight forward drop the pan filter/fluid change . Any input on this will be appreciated,

·
Administrator
29,098 Posts
there will be both sides of the fence

the grit in the fluid is creating friction and keeping your clutches from slipping so do not change it etc etc .

the other side will say the fluid you have now has lost all of it's intended properties and it is best to change it ..

the term flush can be misleading , you would want a fluid exchange quart for quart using a machine like Ford has or just DIY ,, but I can't point you in either direction ( new fluid or leave it ) because you are at a crossroads between maybe and what if lol that fluid looks spent though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts