Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 f250 with a mfg date of 6/01. i have heard that the early and late 01 use different connecting rods and the early ones are stronger. has anyone heard this before and does anyone know which catagory a 6/01 would fall under? i want to start doing some performance upgrades but i don't want to do too much and have a problem with rods.:confused:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You gotta pull the plug and look.... i doubt it... but they have been in 2002's before...

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
what he said. check b4 hand

·
Registered
571 Posts
What plug? how do u check?

·
Registered
162 Posts
yea if yours are powered metal then you are gonna need to replace them if you want to make serious power without breaking. the early 99's like mine came with forged rods

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
search the forum for PMR's or forged rods and you'll find more info than youll know what to do with. some people have even posted the VIN numbers that will and will not have PMR's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked my rods today through the inspection plug hole and I have forged rods. My truck has a mfg date of 6/01 and I have heard that late 01 is when they changed to the pmr's which seem to be true.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
wow.. are you sure? typically the early 01's that were manufactured in 2000 have them. but even then is a crapshoot... did you see a stud or a bolt head?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a good look inside the hole and it was definently a stud with a nut on it. I was surprised too I thought for sure I was going to have pmr's.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I had a good look inside the hole and it was definently a stud with a nut on it. I was surprised too I thought for sure I was going to have pmr's.
Nice work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts