Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need help I bought a new truck, a ford F-350 7.3 liter turbo diesel. It was smoking a little at warm up when I bought it. I drove it home and the next day I put it on ramps to change oil and got about 3-5 cups of diesel out of the exaust muffler(there is a little hole it dripped out of, no big deal) So I start it up the next morning after driving it 200 miles home and now it smokes like a beast, A LOT OF SMOKE!! It is white smoke and if I let it idle it starts a pounding/clanking and smokes a lot of black smoke(raw diesel). I am almost sure it is a injector, but I need to know how to do it,,step by step if anyone knows, I also want to change the glow plugs and do a compression check on it while I am at it. I have 300,000 miles on the engine. It is at a very good diesel machanic right now and he put it on a computer and said no codes came up and said he would have to take it apart to see at a price of $600. and $2300 to replace glow plugs, injectors, compresion check. when I can do it for $1300, But I need help knowing if I can do it without a ton of special tools. I dont know what this is but, somone said it might be the injector cups :dunno: What is this. How hard is it to replace and the cost. This is my first diesel, but I can work on cars and take them apart. CAN I DO THIS WITHOUT A TON OF WORK????? How long would it take me to do this? My first time. This is my every day driving truck and need it fixed quick. IS it worth paying the machanic?? :dunno: PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU.

·
Registered
398 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
no special tools needed to replace injectors, injector cups require a special tool. the injector cups are the part that the injectors sit in (kinda like the cylinder is to a piston). for the first time doing work on the 7.3 expect to have a good weekend into it. i have tore several down and can have injectors replaced in about 2.5 hours if all goes well. you have to get a special compression gauge for diesels along with the adapters to go in the glow plugs, autozone sells them for about $150 for a complete setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts