Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will crank but won’t turn over. Batteries are good, has 4 new glow plugs, a glow plug relay and a new cps sensor. Just changed fuel filter too. Tried unplugging icp sensor and cps so that it would default but still no start. No blown fuses. Have a tuner on it which I also unplugged to make sure it wasn’t the issue. Fuel pump works because when I drain fuel bowl it pumps fuel back to it. Had it scanned and the codes I get are p0232 and p0603. Do you guys think the pcm is the problem?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Will crank but won’t turn over. Batteries are good, has 4 new glow plugs, a glow plug relay and a new cps sensor. Just changed fuel filter too. Tried unplugging icp sensor and cps so that it would default but still no start. No blown fuses. Have a tuner on it which I also unplugged to make sure it wasn’t the issue. Fuel pump works because when I drain fuel bowl it pumps fuel back to it. Had it scanned and the codes I get are p0232 and p0603. Do you guys think the pcm is the problem?
Do you get a wts light? Have you watched the parameters in forscan or torque?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
My usual No Start (I know you're already covered some of it).

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Can you verify cranking rpm signal with a scanner of some sort? Do you have a spare CPS to try?

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain lever to check) Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

You can unplug the ICP sensor, as a Test, so the PCM sets a default value for the IPR to run on (expect this to set a new "Low ICP" code, don't let that misdirect you after a scan).

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the plug & wires look in good shape.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have tried all of those things
Post all of the relevant parameters here from forscan or torque. That'll help the experts help you.

One thing that's easy is hook up another vehicle as a jumper and make sure it's spinning fast enough to start. There is either a powerstroke help or diesel tech Ron about this where they show it won't start and sounds fine cranking but then jumped (they use the jumper box thing like AAA) it starts. I've had that on mine. Second battery was low but everything seemed fine and I jumped it with my Hyundai and it started. Went to china-zone and the second battery tested as bad.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
tried unplugging icp sensor and cps so that it would default but still no start
The engine will not fire at all with the CPS disconnected

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
I have tried all of those things

Yea, just a little effort on your part would be helpful ;)

What's your Fuel Level?

You're spinning at Over 100rpm on the starter?

Your Voltage is Above 9v While Cranking?

Your ICP & IPR readings?

If you expect to be helped you need to participate...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, just a little effort on your part would be helpful ;)

What's your Fuel Level?

You're spinning at Over 100rpm on the starter?

Your Voltage is Above 9v While Cranking?

Your ICP & IPR readings?

If you expect to be helped you need to participate...
The fuel level is about half, definitely over 100rpm on starter, voltage is above 9 volts while cranking. Buddy came over with a scanner since mine wouldn’t show live data and his wouldn’t either. What is a good scanner or program to buy so I can get all the readings for you guys?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The fuel level is about half, definitely over 100rpm on starter, voltage is above 9 volts while cranking. Buddy came over with a scanner since mine wouldn’t show live data and his wouldn’t either. What is a good scanner or program to buy so I can get all the readings for you guys?
Like I said in the beginning, get forscan or torque. There is a thread super duty diagnostics on the cheap. Once setup post all of the numbers (icp, rpm, etc) and if you are lucky one of the experts here will help you. Expecting everyone to donate their time to help you when you aren't putting in any effort yourself isn't cool.

Without the ability to monitor parameters I doubt anyone is going to help you. Like you said, you've already done everything else.

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
What is a good scanner or program to buy so I can get all the readings for you guys?
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

Alright so a mechanic buddy came over with a scanner and the oil pressure was right around 3-400 psi. We replaced Hpop and ipr valve and was loping bad for a while. Drove it for a little bit and it cleared up and idled pretty good. Now it won’t start again. Oil change was also done. Ty

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
Well, that's why you want to be able to scan the truck yourself ;)

So now you want to impose on your buddy again to get those reading and scan for codes. Low ICP, and 3-400 is below the starting threshold, isn't necessarily caused by a bad HPOP or IPR, you might still have low pressure because it's being leaked away by something like bad injector O-rings.

Find out what going on so you know where to go next (also keep in mind that you need minimum cranking RPM (over 100) and Voltage (some '01's need 10v or more). Could you have cranked the batteries low restarting with a new pump? Try boosting it maybe))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts