Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 F550 with about 400ooo miles on it. I'm pretty sure it needs injectors (must cycle glow plugs multiple times to start, no power when first started etc) but the other day it died after a quick trip to the store and would not restart. On the way to the store it was running weird and did try to stall enroute. It will crank but won't fire, no smoke from the pipes either so I believe the injectors are not firing.

Not sure if it's related or not but about a week ago it was idling in the driveway and after it got warm the idle went to a really rough lope and I could not rev the engine past 1700RPM or get it to drive. Unplugged the batteries for the night and it fired right up like normal the next day and drove no problem.

While I was trying to get it running I tried unplugging the ICP and changed the fuel filter and CPS with no luck. Did verify fuel flow to the filter while I had it off. Also added about 4 QTS of oil thinking maybe the HPOP didn't have enough but no luck.

Any tips on what to check next? This truck has defeated the communication attempts of even the best Snap-On scanners so I'm not sure if it has an OBD issue or if it's the communication issue everyone else talks about.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a 2001 F550 with about 400ooo miles on it. I'm pretty sure it needs injectors (must cycle glow plugs multiple times to start, no power when first started etc) but the other day it died after a quick trip to the store and would not restart. On the way to the store it was running weird and did try to stall enroute. It will crank but won't fire, no smoke from the pipes either so I believe the injectors are not firing.

Not sure if it's related or not but about a week ago it was idling in the driveway and after it got warm the idle went to a really rough lope and I could not rev the engine past 1700RPM or get it to drive. Unplugged the batteries for the night and it fired right up like normal the next day and drove no problem.

While I was trying to get it running I tried unplugging the ICP and changed the fuel filter and CPS with no luck. Did verify fuel flow to the filter while I had it off. Also added about 4 QTS of oil thinking maybe the HPOP didn't have enough but no luck.

Any tips on what to check next? This truck has defeated the communication attempts of even the best Snap-On scanners so I'm not sure if it has an OBD issue or if it's the communication issue everyone else talks about.

Thanks for the help.
Check the map hose and port. If the port plugs, you won't be able to throttle it up. The hose could be cracked or plugged as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it at least start if the MAP is clogged up?

I am getting a 'taser' kind of sound from a solenoid on the air pipes at the back of the intake manifold when the key is in the run position.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Do you get a WTS light when you first roll-on the key? (that would show if the PCM is running, maybe you don't have a communication problem as much as a PCM problem - usually just a fuse)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the codes. Here is what it’s saying. What do you guys make of this?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
WOW! That's some list!!!

A lot of serious issues indicated, primarily the HiPres Oil and IDM codes would be my concern. BUT you also show Low Voltage and that can cause some PCM confusion that can generate spurious codes too (plus, we don't know if these are "current" codes). So, what you want to do now would be to "Clear Codes" and see what comes back quickly (you might have to scan a couple of times, upon starting, after an "easy" drive, and then a "hard" drive to see what comes back and when).

Low Voltage is something to look for and fix first. This might have happened at some point during a long crank and never got erased. But you want to know if it is now an issue and fix that first if it is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleared the codes and charged the batteries overnight and it fired right up.

Battery was low from attempts to start.

I’m gonna drive it and run the codes again.

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
Anything less than 8 volts while cranking can "confuse" the PCM and set weird codes that are unrelated to any problems
may want to check the battery voltage when you are cranking the engine
ground issues at the block( Y harness) and frame below the radiator are common

1 - 12 of 12 Posts