1) New Head Unit
vs.
2) New Speakers
vs.
3) Both???????

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Both period... The headunit acts as a sort of power supply for the speakers. If the headunit (older) tries to power newer speakers you wont see a big improvement. If your older speakers is powered by a newer headunit the speakers won't put out as much. Check out crutchfields website and type in your vehicle info. I used them on three vehicles all three I still currently own and many others use them too.

fyi if you only spend $80 on a pair of speakers you wont see as good as oem. I learned the hardway. Doesn't bother me in the truck truck but I accidentally downgraded my wifes 09 subaru. Now I have to do it again on the door speakers and pay a little more for a set that is as at least as good. Im very new to sound systems but learned some lessons lol.

on the 99-03 trucks door spears are SUPER EASY and the headunit as long as you don't buy some big touchscreen unit that has the (requires trimming) note you'll be totally fine. they always include the wire adapters for the headunit to truck and speakers to truck 99% of the time too.

·
Home & Community
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both period... The headunit acts as a sort of power supply for the speakers. If the headunit (older) tries to power newer speakers you wont see a big improvement. If your older speakers is powered by a newer headunit the speakers won't put out as much. Check out crutchfields website and type in your vehicle info. I used them on three vehicles all three I still currently own and many others use them too.

fyi if you only spend $80 on a pair of speakers you wont see as good as oem. I learned the hardway. Doesn't bother me in the truck truck but I accidentally downgraded my wifes 09 subaru. Now I have to do it again on the door speakers and pay a little more for a set that is as at least as good. Im very new to sound systems but learned some lessons lol.

on the 99-03 trucks door spears are SUPER EASY and the headunit as long as you don't buy some big touchscreen unit that has the (requires trimming) note you'll be totally fine. they always include the wire adapters for the headunit to truck and speakers to truck 99% of the time too.
What is your guess on the threshold of $$$$ to spend on speakers to obtain an upgrade? There is good and and there is audiophile. At home or a Lexus I'm an Audiophile....in a Diesel truck good is good enough!!

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
What is your guess on the threshold of $$$$ to spend on speakers to obtain an upgrade? There is good and and there is audiophile. At home or a Lexus I'm an Audiophile....in a Diesel truck good is good enough!!

If you are not a music junky I spent $80sih on a pair of kenwood speakers for the front door and about $90 on a deck and its good enough for me. I followed the same rule on the wifes subauru just add another $80sih for the second pair of speakers and they were worse than the oem subaru ones I pulled. I figured I would have to jump to $150 plus per pair of speakers to be on par. Iam not well versed on brands but I just remember Kenwood made good stuff and it was good enough for the truck but I will be spending $$ on the subaru this summer lol. The wife doesn't ask for much but she loves her music when driving.

·
Home & Community
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are not a music junky I spent $80sih on a pair of kenwood speakers for the front door and about $90 on a deck and its good enough for me. I followed the same rule on the wifes subauru just add another $80sih for the second pair of speakers and they were worse than the oem subaru ones I pulled. I figured I would have to jump to $150 plus per pair of speakers to be on par. Iam not well versed on brands but I just remember Kenwood made good stuff and it was good enough for the truck but I will be spending $$ on the subaru this summer lol. The wife doesn't ask for much but she loves her music when driving.
I'm a music junky but realize with the acoustics of a 2001 7.3 F350 it might be best to get my music fix at home!! And just above average good is the goal here....not Audiophile!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts