Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading a few things after i bought my 2001 F250. it sounded like the 2001 has a lot of problems. is this true?

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
not alot of problems really. what were you reading about

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I got 125kmiles on mine and no major problems except a wiring harness once, oh, and the CPS, and the water pump, but thats normal

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i forgot what i read but it was on a different forum. i have around 41000 on my 01. the only thing i have had to fix was the rings to the hpop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
harohunter- how many miles until you had to replace the trans

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 01 has 100k on it. I've owned it for the last 20k. Only thing it needed was drivers front wheel bearing ($320). Now my clutch is baked but that isn't the trucks fault.

·
Registered
885 Posts
are you referring to the powder metal rods ? I've had 2 01 f250's and no problems whatsoever. just limit the HP to roughly 100 or so over stock and you'll be good

·
Registered
195 Posts
I forgot about that, our 01's most likely have PMR's, and the Dana 50 front end instead of the 60. I've never heard of a 50 going out though. You just can't get all of the mean lockers/posi's for the 50.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just bought a 01 dually with 205000 miles and only one problem so far

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
See signature.

I bought mine at 108K, now has 151K. The only issue I've had is a seal on the front of my tranny needed to be replaced. I've had to replace the batteries and the tires. Those are normal things

I pull a 12Klb 5th wheel and I'm not afraid to hook it up and take off. I change the oil/filter regularly, keep my K&N clean and drive the heck out of it.

I really have enjoyed modding it too!!! :woot:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My moms 2000 7.3 has 160K miles. Only problems were the water pump and power steering pump and a pcm. Thats it and it goes like 7K miles between oil changes. My dads 2000 7.3 160K miles and so far 1 CPS and that is it as far as motor issues. Only other things were a tranny because front seal blew out and a speed sensor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
on my 2000 the only things ever replaced on it besides tires, belts, filters, brake pads, batterys was the transmission at 109k. a cps at like 80 something k, and now it looks like my ball joints have seen better days. currently 156k miles. i'm taking it from jersey to california next month, and i've already taken it there last month plus 3 other times this year so far. after advice from some posters on here i had my buddy with an ebay account find me an old camshaft position sensor. one of the old ones they made before the recall. i got it in my glove box in case the thing ever craps out on me. i got all my tools in the truck too. i swear by the 7.3 and would never buy another diesel that wasn't a 7.3. had the 6.0, and was lucky up almost to the very end.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
The best years made in the 7.3's were between 01 and 03. They were pretty much bulletproof rock solid. Tranny's are really one of the few weak points on those rigs.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,018 Posts
The best years made in the 7.3's were between 01 and 03. They were pretty much bulletproof rock solid. Tranny's are really one of the few weak points on those rigs.
This is pretty true, except for the weaker connecting rods....

If you buy it used you are at the mercy of the previous owner...I think there is a lot to be said for that. They can do a lot of damage, and then people pass it off as "that year had problems". There is good and bad in all of em.

and sometimes "that year is famous for this or that" is something people who don't know any better say so that they sound smarter. Just my opinion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts