Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 2001 f250 7.3 leaks fuel when it has been sitting outside for several hours. It was pluged in (you guys in alaska or montana know what I am talking about)the temp was about -20 to -30 started up fine and I let it warm up for 15 minutes and when I go to the trk there is a puddle of fuel under neath smells like fuel all the way home I get in the garage and look under and fuel in dripping onto the floor. I can drive it in the cold weather with no problem. It just seems to be when it is sitting out side in the cold.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2000 did the same thing once last winter when we had an overnight low of -40 C. It leaked a huge puddle on starting but once running stopped, never has done it again. I figure it was fuel gelling combined with lines being so cold could not see where it came from as again -40 and windy.
Since then make sure I use additive (usually Howes) and even in -30 temps never had the issue again.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. I put power service diesel fuel supplement and this time of year I ust the white bottle with winterizer an antigel.I do have a 60gal titan fuel tank installed,maybe I need to ad a little extra. Was also thinking maybe the heating element inside the fuel bowl is in/op.

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Ford F350, 7.3L, 4R100, CC, LB, SRW
19,191 Posts
Corey may have hit it on the head.

There is a fuel bowl drain tube that comes down the front of the engine. You can see it through the passenger wheel well. Check it there. If there is fuel dripping from there, it's the fuel bowl drain valve o-rings. They wear out from time to time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was thinking of replacing the seals in the fuel bowl so I will order that from you. Is there a way to test the heating element inside the fuel bowl?

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Great, I will check it. A lot of strange things happen at 30 below
Indeed. I even had a very random only once drop from my transfer case at -25 last year lol... Since then though I have resealed the fuel bow, replaced the hpop lines, replaced coolant hoses/thermostat. Most of the hoses/o rings were 20 yrs old any wow the engine valley is totally dry now. took a lot of after work fun but worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corey may have hit it on the head.

There is a fuel bowl drain tube that comes down the front of the engine. You can see it through the passenger wheel well. Check it there. If there is fuel dripping from there, it's the fuel bowl drain valve o-rings. They wear out from time to time.
Yup thats looks like were the fuel is coming from, I'll order the seal kit from Corey.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be the seals for the fuel line fittings or the bowl, but it could also be the line hold down clamp has worn a hole in the line. This is pretty common to see. If you need a new fuel line, we do offer this upgraded kit. But again, it could be just old dry rotted seals.

https://cncfab.us/i-30499017-alliant-power-99-5-03-7-3l-fuel-bowl-reseal-kit-allp-ap0007.html

https://cncfab.us/i-30497599-cnc-fabrication-99-03-7-3l-4-line-feed-fuel-line-kit-cnc-7-3-sd-brfk.html
Hi Corey do you ship to Canada

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts