Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

We were just traveling in our bus, 2001 E-350 super duty cutaway, 7.3L Powerstroke, when it suddenly lost power going uphill. Started rattling and shaking, barely made it past 25mph. Not a rattling sound, more of a bumpy ride, as if the engine didn't get enough fuel. I pulled over, turned it off, waited, restarted and it ran fine again for a while, til it happened again. We were were in the middle of nowhere, so I wanted to get out of the mountains first. Made it and after the last steep hill it ran perfectly normal the rest of the ride home.
Of course, I wanna get to the bottom of this now, but I don't have much mechanical experience. A google search so far told me it might be the fuel filter or fuel injectors. It also had the check engine light on with a glow plug circuit problem, but starts fine. I was gonna get to that, but then this happened and seemed more urgent. From what I read, a glow plug issue won't cause those symptoms, right? Anything else I should check? Anyone know an idiot-proof tutorial on how to do it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Most likely the pick up screen is clogged in the tank. Research the "hutch mod" this eliminates the fuel pick up issues. I did it on my bus as a preventative maintenance. Hopefully there is an access hatch in the floor. If not you will need to drop the tank.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Sounds like delamination in the fuel tank. Only way to tell is to drop the tank. Or hook up a fuel pressure gauge and drive around tell it acts up. If your pressure drops below 45 psi. You have an issue. These vans of this era are know to have gas tank issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like delamination in the fuel tank. Only way to tell is to drop the tank. Or hook up a fuel pressure gauge and drive around tell it acts up. If your pressure drops below 45 psi. You have an issue. These vans of this era are know to have gas tank issues.
I read up on the issue... If it's the case fortunately there's a shop in my area specialized in boiling out and recoating these tanks. But I wanna be sure of course. Found a video on youtube that basically says I can diagnose by checking the fuel filter? (Won't let me post the link, its youtube.com/ watch?v=vVqFVSVBgHA&t=92s)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thought. Thanks for the help by the way, it's greatly appreciated!
If the delamination or clogged filter in the fuel system were the problem, would the symptoms not be present consistently? Just drove 20min on the freeway, no power problems whatsoever. I imagine if this were the case, the issues wouldn't some so suddenly and then go away again. But then again, I don't know mich about it...

·
Vendor
13,174 Posts
Under lighter load there isn't quite enough restriction in the tank to slow enough fuel to the engine, but under heavier load (i.e. going up a hill) the engine needs more fuel and its starving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts