Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 2001 7.3 Ex with 160k with a PHP and some supporting mods. Recently truck has been having a hard time start (as in it would seem like it wanted to stall, or was having "hiccups"). This would only happen during a cold start (not actually cold, never below 50). After running it and driving it, it would start fine. I cleaned battery terminals, and made sure my tuner had a good connection to the pcm. After I did this the fuel gage would not work (it says it was past full), the tachometer doesn't work, and the power seats don't work. And truck was still having the same problem getting started, but ran and started fine after it was run for a little. Scanned it and said there was an issue with a fuel pump relay. I am stuck here and don't really know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
So first, forget the fuel pump relay code, the PCM can't monitor that anyway (what are you using to scan with?)

Next, try this, plug the block heater in for a couple of hours before you try a "Cold" start and see if that makes it start normally.

Electrically speaking, there are Two '01's. They are like "late & early" and the easy way you tell the difference is by looking at your dash. If you have a Trans Temp gauge in the Instrument Cluster you have the '02 electrics and if you don't you have the 2000.

Do you believe that when you "checked" the PCM's connection to your tuner is when the Tach, Fuel Gauge, and PS stopped working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2000 electronics. It seems that the only problems now are the electronics. The guages I mentioned above, seats, headlights, hardwired lights, phone chargers. Seems now that maybe some fuses blew? Will check the fuses and see if this is the issue. The truck did start fine this time so maybe this problem is fixed temporarily.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
You might also look for a lose connector, plug, maybe even the Ground strap up there, that could have been disrupted. Fuses of course would be an easy fix, but we soften see people who say "I've "looked" at my fuses and they're all good" only to later find that one of them was bad so, I like to check fuses with a Meter (or Light) to Know they are passing power.

If it starts happening again, I'd go to the GEM Module next (your "Body" computer located on the backside of the in-cab fusebox). There is a common issue where, because of a failed seal at the corner of the Windshield above it, water can drip into the GEM and cause corrosion. Drop the box and have a look inside maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, checked fuses with a light and they were fine. It has been raining a lot so the body module may be the problem based on other sources I've looked at. Is there a way to test it to see if this is for sure the problem? Or just look for signs of damage.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
No way I know of other than looking at it for those signs, at the dealership I think they just try a new one to see if that fixes it ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts