Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used F450 a couple of months ago with 345,000 miles and drove it a couple of weeks ago about 500 miles non-stop without any trouble. On the way back I was running low on fuel and began climbing a steeper grade. The engine began to bog down and felt like some of the cylinders weren’t firing. As I began to loose power I had to pull off on the side of the road. As I crept to a stop the engine stalled out.

I let it cool down for several minutes and tried to drive it again. My pyrometer usually displays about 400 degrees at normal idle. I’ve noticed that this problem occurs each time after I’ve been driving about an hour or more. When the pyrometer exceeds 600 degrees the engine begins to bog down and I loose power. If I don’t coast and let it cool to 400 degrees I won’t be able to keep driving and it will eventually stall out.

The truck is a 2000 F450 Dually Cab & Chassis with a 7.3L powerstroke. The engine was replaced a few years ago by the dealership and has about 70k miles on it. I believe they must have reused the electronics from the previous motor.

I’ve taken it to 3 repair shops and nobody knows what is wrong with it. There are no engine codes. They have replaced the EBP, ICP and IPR sensors. I replaced the EBP tubing today from the exhaust manifold to the sensor thinking it would improve but no luck. One shop guessed I may need a new PCM. Another shop guessed I may need new injectors. I also tried unplugging the exhaust back pressure valve wire but this didn’t improve either.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I’ve already replaced the fuel filter under the hood as well as the air filter. It will run normal until I’m on the highway for about an hour or climbing a hill for 5 minutes and then the problem resurfaces.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you can reliably reproduce the issue then they should be able to monitor the vitals and see what is happening.

You can monitor the vitals yourself with forscan or torque pro. There a sticky on super duty diagnostics on the cheap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
There's a common issue where the in tank pick-up screen can accumulate particles (sometimes from a delaminating tank coating). As you drive, these collect on the pick-up, restricting flow (might even get you a bit lean so the EGT goes up) and after it sits for a bit, they fall away again.

The fact that you don't set a light or get a code, even after it actually dies, would have me thinking this could be a fuel delivery problem (no code gets set what you run-dry). I would next have a look inside the tank -> Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Towards the end ->

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this suggestion, I'll check the tank screens. I forgot to mention these two things:

1. The previous owner had a performance mod on the PCM. I have since reset it back to factory settings.
2. There were four codes that I pulled when this first happened: P0732, P1211, P1670 and P0470. I have since erased three of them and they have never resurfaced.

The only code that would not erase and continued to come up whenever I turned the key to the “on” position even if I didn’t start the vehicle or run it was P0470. I researched this and after reading the below link I replaced the exhaust back pressure sensor with an aftermarket OEM sensor and replaced the tube that connected from this sensor to the exhaust manifold. The code then went away and never came back.

EBP Sensor–7.3 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Location, Symptoms, and Removal | Dead Head Diesel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts