Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
so i recently purchased a 2000 F350 7.3L. I have been around diesel trucks for probably 5-6 years now i am really just starting to get deep into the performance side. i am looking to enhance the longevity of my engine but know that i want more power also. So i am whiling to give and take. the truck currently has as far as i know, (the dealer i bought it from was a dumb a**), a 6in suspension lift, 35in tires, 20in wheels, 05 front clip, 4in TB exhaust, k&n intake, banks big head waste gate, and i believe a aftermarket spindle-but not sure-,

here are my goals:
gain power- chip/ tuner/ programmer/ engine mods
gain life of engine
reduce problematic areas
replace well know parts that fail
gain MPG
gain monitoring on EGT, Trans temp, boost,

NOW here is the kicker,
What order do i do it in???? bc this is going to be an on going project and its a daily driver, so i cant have it sitting around with the heads off of it , waiting for studs. Also id like to build it in the correct order, as in: i dont want to add a bunch of mods and not have gauges to monitor the engine. <problem waiting to happen.

So when it comes down to it, Where do i start? and where do i finish?

·
Registered
883 Posts
have to look really good at the tuners out there before buying one
engine life, if the tuner makes it run cooler that's a get go, just the basics don't abuse it and keep up on the maintenance, unless those mods start jacking stuff up
only thing ATM i can think of parts wise if brakes shoes( if its drum) or discs for cracks and such and tires after a while, MPG wise again what ever tuner you get can help with MPG, with a lift and those tires only a little only other thing is to get it re geared,

order wise
chip/tuner
change parts
then the monitoring stuff

some of the chips or tuners obviously can jack with the motor or trans so you need to see if if your truck can even handle it

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Beans is the way to go. Good start. Ditch the k&n... will dust your motor and turbo. Replace w/ a 6637.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hey guys,
so i recently purchased a 2000 F350 7.3L. I have been around diesel trucks for probably 5-6 years now i am really just starting to get deep into the performance side. i am looking to enhance the longevity of my engine but know that i want more power also. So i am whiling to give and take. the truck currently has as far as i know, (the dealer i bought it from was a dumb a**), a 6in suspension lift, 35in tires, 20in wheels, 05 front clip, 4in TB exhaust, k&n intake, banks big head waste gate, and i believe a aftermarket spindle-but not sure-,

here are my goals:
gain power- chip/ tuner/ programmer/ engine mods
gain life of engine
reduce problematic areas
replace well know parts that fail
gain MPG
gain monitoring on EGT, Trans temp, boost,

NOW here is the kicker,
What order do i do it in???? bc this is going to be an on going project and its a daily driver, so i cant have it sitting around with the heads off of it , waiting for studs. Also id like to build it in the correct order, as in: i dont want to add a bunch of mods and not have gauges to monitor the engine. <problem waiting to happen.

So when it comes down to it, Where do i start? and where do i finish?
what order, new air filter first, 2nd gauges, 3rd some custom tunes. see if you are happy with it at that point any further and it gets expensive. the 7.3 dosent have a lot of problem areas the CPS has caused a few problems, the tubo pedistal likes to leak, the fuel bowl can leak but all in all its as problem free as anything. if you want it to last drive it nice and do the maintenance and it will last.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Because they produce high egt's, they abuse and destroy auto trannies, and they produce less power than custom chips.

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
maybe look into getting an upgraded torque converter and valve body for the transmission.
and just do the usual maintenance lol i.e. diferentials, transmission and so on.
also gauges are a must if you wanna run a chip, egt, boost and trans temp gauges.
autometer and isspro are good brands of gauges. glowshift gauges just don't last.
many places sell these parts, riffraffdiesel, xtremediesel, stricly diesel are a few places. to look for parts.
a good place to get a chip would be beans, dp-tuner, php, tony wildman and there are more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking into glow shift, for a set of gauges, looking to monitor boost, EGT, trans temp. Any other recomendations on what to watch other than those?
And i will def be getting a beans 6 position for it, any recomendations on torque convo? Ats purple is good, but are u paying for the name or color or product life???

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have a glowshift 3in1 in my truck now, i have had it for a little over a year, no problems yet. but i do not expect it to last forever, when it quits i think i am going to get a set of isspro, they are OEM for semi's for a reason i think and they have been around forever. there are also many other good brands out there.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I was looking into glow shift, for a set of gauges, looking to monitor boost, EGT, trans temp. Any other recomendations on what to watch other than those?
And i will def be getting a beans 6 position for it, any recomendations on torque convo? Ats purple is good, but are u paying for the name or color or product life???

Thanks for all the help.
i love my ats torque converter.. i have the ats valve body with the adjustable tc lockup, and it's works great keeps the trans cool when u need it, keeps it locked up down low when u want it too for towing or exhaust brake... your tranny will be happy, and live longer... your on the right track.. like someone else said, do the tuner and guages, and see how u like it, cuz after that it get expensive.... turbo, injectors, head studs, hpop, fuel system....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is an update,
i have decided to go with a TS 6-position chip with their regular tunes.(stock, high idel, 50, 75, 100, and 140+)

i also decided to get some gauges, still deciding on them, my friend has glow shift but he has given him problems, i was looking at auto meter?? are they good?

Also, update on the intake. it had a K&N intake tube with a massive filter that looks like it came off a semi, the filter is about 8 inches in diameter.

i was also looking for one more thing to add hp and torque, i am at a loss at this point .....i am torn between an aFe intake tubing or what???

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
afe is nice. 4" od exhaust piping from napa works too.

glowshift gauges are pretty nice I think. autometer are great.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
autometer gauges are the best, hands down... i have had them in all my vehicles and have never ever had a problem with them..... i suggest you go with a php chip though... the rumor is that the ts beats up on the trans, the php chip i have shifts so smooth u can hardly even feel it!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
agreed ts is crap. But I can certainly suggest a few other tuners over php... but they certainly aren't horrible.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
thats ok, but if u want to modify / customize tunes, you have to send it back to php, and wait.... i went with the fu2, it comes with a chip burner, so if/ when u want to make changes to your tune, or have done something to your truck that requires new tunes, you can ru-burn your chip at home, and have no down time waiting for the mail man.... i need my truck every day, so sending the chip in to php is out of the question for me....
edit: wow, i just saw that they have discontinued the fu2, and are coming out with a new replacement next month... i would assume that the replacement will also have the at home reburn capabilities.. i would wait a week or two for them to release that info/ new chip....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
ts chip with their standard tunes 220-240 dollars.
php phoenix chip with custom tunes is 295$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts