Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 drone 4 wheel drive F350 that I would like to use the components of to convert my 2000 to 4 wheel drive.

Does anyone know if the transmission from a 6.0 (2003) will fit my 7.3 (2000)?

If you have experience with something like this any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just so you know what level I am at; I have owned an auto body/mechanic shop for 33 years and have extreme experience in rebuilding/modifying all types of vehicles. I have never attempted this conversion, however, and figured I would come on here for some advice.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The 6.0 transmission will not directly swap (which is a real shame as the 5r110w used in the 6.0 is superior, and is the same for both 2 and 4wd applications!)-at the very least you would need a PCS stand-alone controller and tuning for the trans. As for the 4x4 conversion, it is very simple (minus the transmission, which you either need to replace the output shaft/case, or use a 4x4 trans). The frames are identical, all the holes are already there-the 4 rivets that hold each spring bucket in double as the 4x4 upper shock mounts. You need the complete front differential (make sure to get one with a gear ratio that matches your rear), leaf springs, fore and aft leaf spring hangers, pitman arm, track bar backet, transfer case (they have a different input shaft spline pattern for auto vs manual transmission), and driveshafts. If you decide to get a manual transfer case (np271), the swap is VERY simple. The np273 is much, much more complex if you want the ESOF to function properly. I prefer manaul transfer cases anyway.

The 05-up suspension is a better choice. You re-use your coil spring buckets-and the turning radius is superior by far!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts