Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 F250, swd. Should I install a locker?

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  drumguy 
#1 ·
My 2000 F250 has a swd and I tow a 12,500 5th wheel. I am a little concerned about getting stuck since only one wheel grabs. Has anyone installed a locker or posi-trac unit in their swd? If so, what are y'alls recommendations? Should I even be concerned?

#2 ·
Its kind of a toss up.... Ideally you want a selectable locker or limited slip. Turn the locker off when driving/not concerned and on if you get nervous. You could try something a little more though if you are interested.... Youkon is pretty standard for lockers and limited slips. But a full locker that cant be turned off is just going to wear the tires out and make things miserable on corners.

-Front receiver hitch less than $200 from etrailer
-Harbor freight 12k winch maybe $400 with coupon maybe little more $$ but the synthetic rope will save 50+lbs.
-winch basket $100ish all over internet
-$50 misc thick guage wire and quick connector

Now you can store it in the garage when not needed and throw it on when you travel. May not be more expensive than parts and labor for the rear end for most folks. Esp since you probably aren't going into crazy mud areas with a 5th wheel and its rolling weight so 12k is plenty to give yourself a nice bump.

#8 ·
True Trac. Gear driven torque bias. They are magical. I have the factory Eaton in my truck and have considered installing the TT instead. Parking our toy hauler in the field, the factory locker kills the turning radius.

#10 ·
Not sure what swd means but a Detroit locker or Detroit Truetrac are both great units to install in the rear of a 4x4 or 2wd truck.

Reactions: The Evil Twin
#11 ·
I would only run a non selectable locker in a more off-road style rig. My desert truck had one for a long time, didn't hate it on the street, but you know it's there and it likes to remind you. I wouldn't want that in my tow rig. I would definitely do some type of limited slip setup.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I would only run a non selectable locker in a more off-road style rig. My desert truck had one for a long time, didn't hate it on the street, but you know it's there and it likes to remind you. I wouldn't want that in my tow rig. I would definitely do some type of limited slip setup.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I have a Detroit locker in the rear of mine and it works fine on the street, I tow with it all the time.

Reactions: Bri_Man57
#14 ·
It works the same way regardless of the weight.

#16 ·
Yes and that is a good thing it will keep the inside tire from spinning when going around a turn.

#17 ·
You talk about what you tow, but not where you plan to drive.

I have a 4wd, but have rarely had to lock the 4wd in even on my ranch, and I think mine are open diffs. These truck are so heavy, if you end up getting stuck, I am not sure a locker would get you out.

Depending on where you plan to drive, I would likely roll the dice and see when If I got stuck. If I did get stuck, I would do what Justin suggested, get a front reciever, and a winch. I think this would be a better investment.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have a selectable locking rear end on my Ford Sterling rear end. I have a Eaton True Trac on my front end since I have Eaton Dana axle in the front. They work well together. I also have a winch on the nose.

#19 ·
You can't go wrong with a Detroit Truetrac, I have one in my Excursion rear axle and it works so well on snow, sand, mud, everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.