Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 F250 has a swd and I tow a 12,500 5th wheel. I am a little concerned about getting stuck since only one wheel grabs. Has anyone installed a locker or posi-trac unit in their swd? If so, what are y'alls recommendations? Should I even be concerned?

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Its kind of a toss up.... Ideally you want a selectable locker or limited slip. Turn the locker off when driving/not concerned and on if you get nervous. You could try something a little more though if you are interested.... Youkon is pretty standard for lockers and limited slips. But a full locker that cant be turned off is just going to wear the tires out and make things miserable on corners.

-Front receiver hitch less than $200 from etrailer
-Harbor freight 12k winch maybe $400 with coupon maybe little more $$ but the synthetic rope will save 50+lbs.
-winch basket $100ish all over internet
-$50 misc thick guage wire and quick connector

Now you can store it in the garage when not needed and throw it on when you travel. May not be more expensive than parts and labor for the rear end for most folks. Esp since you probably aren't going into crazy mud areas with a 5th wheel and its rolling weight so 12k is plenty to give yourself a nice bump.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Did your truck come without LimitedSlip or has it just stopped working? (there's a tag on the diff that will tell you what's inside)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your truck come without LimitedSlip or has it just stopped working? (there's a tag on the diff that will tell you what's inside)
Came without it. As I understand, Ford didn't put a limited slip in the 2 wheel drives.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My dad has had a locker in his e350 for many years now. It’s great for traction, but can be a little irritating at times, mostly at intersections in the rain. Overall though, it’s worked out well for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
True Trac. Gear driven torque bias. They are magical. I have the factory Eaton in my truck and have considered installing the TT instead. Parking our toy hauler in the field, the factory locker kills the turning radius.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Came without it. As I understand, Ford didn't put a limited slip in the 2 wheel drives.
yeah ford did. my 02 f350 dually 2wd came with a 4.10 posi from the factory and the vin number confirms it. my 95 f250 2wd came with a 4.10 posi from the factory and the window sticker and vin confirm it , bought it new. my 06 60 f350 dually 2wd came with a 4.10 posi , bought it new. my 01 f350 2wd dually came with 3.73 single leg from the factory and i had a factory posi and 4.30 put in it. I had them clutch stack the posi tight.

From what the rear end shop told me some of the truck posi units are not stacked tight from the factory and act as single leg. They can stack them tight.

BTW I run lockers in my mustangs and 66 ford wagon. Thats where I keep my rubber boots in case I get stuck in the mud.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Not sure what swd means but a Detroit locker or Detroit Truetrac are both great units to install in the rear of a 4x4 or 2wd truck.

Reactions: The Evil Twin

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would only run a non selectable locker in a more off-road style rig. My desert truck had one for a long time, didn't hate it on the street, but you know it's there and it likes to remind you. I wouldn't want that in my tow rig. I would definitely do some type of limited slip setup.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I would only run a non selectable locker in a more off-road style rig. My desert truck had one for a long time, didn't hate it on the street, but you know it's there and it likes to remind you. I wouldn't want that in my tow rig. I would definitely do some type of limited slip setup.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I have a Detroit locker in the rear of mine and it works fine on the street, I tow with it all the time.

Reactions: Bri_Man57

·
Registered
119 Posts
i can only imagine how much more aggressive a full time locker may feel with the extra weight on the rear end.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
i can only imagine how much more aggressive a full time locker may feel with the extra weight on the rear end.
It works the same way regardless of the weight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i understand that. but where an unloaded truck or bed may be able to slip some tire , that little bit of tire slip may disappear

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
i understand that. but where an unloaded truck or bed may be able to slip some tire , that little bit of tire slip may disappear
Yes and that is a good thing it will keep the inside tire from spinning when going around a turn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You talk about what you tow, but not where you plan to drive.

I have a 4wd, but have rarely had to lock the 4wd in even on my ranch, and I think mine are open diffs. These truck are so heavy, if you end up getting stuck, I am not sure a locker would get you out.

Depending on where you plan to drive, I would likely roll the dice and see when If I got stuck. If I did get stuck, I would do what Justin suggested, get a front reciever, and a winch. I think this would be a better investment.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2000 F250 has a swd and I tow a 12,500 5th wheel. I am a little concerned about getting stuck since only one wheel grabs. Has anyone installed a locker or posi-trac unit in their swd? If so, what are y'alls recommendations? Should I even be concerned?
I have a selectable locking rear end on my Ford Sterling rear end. I have a Eaton True Trac on my front end since I have Eaton Dana axle in the front. They work well together. I also have a winch on the nose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Detroit Truetrac, I have one in my Excursion rear axle and it works so well on snow, sand, mud, everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts