Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 F250 PSD (71,000 miles) has some strange quirks. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and determined a cause.:dunno:

#1- In the mountains and sometimes at lower levels, when it is cold 25-40 deg range, in the mornings with light frost, truck will crank right over, but gauges in dash don't work. Includes speedometer, oil pressure, tac, just about all of them. After a while when it warms up, gauges start working again.

#2- If truck has sat for several hours during a rain or over night, when I try to start it, it won't crank over. Recently in the mountains at about 7K ft, had to drain fuel bowl before it would start. Rough idle for a minute or so before it smoothed out. It had rained over night before I went out to try and start it, and start it, and start it..........

I think it is possessed:rofl:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I think your windshield is leaky and your GEM is wet. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zaairman,
My windshield doesn't leak. But I am not familiar with a GEM. What is that and where is it located? What does it do? Thanks
Jawbreaker5

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It's the electric module that controls everything... The windshields in our trucks are known to leak (even though you CANNOT see it), and moisture gets into the GEM. It is a fairly common problem with Fords. It's located underneath the dash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zaairman
Is there anything I can do to limit the exposure of this to rain? Cover the area of the windshield wipers?

Have you experienced this problem?

Thanks
Jawbreaker5

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You can get your windshield re-sealed. I haven't had it happen on my F-250, but I did have an F-150 that was showing signs of it, but I sold it before it got worse. I didn't sell it because of that issue though, I sold it to upgrade to the 250.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I am having weird issues due to gem as well. If i use my wipers sometimes the motor will shut down. I agree gem!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts