Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 f250 4x4 transmission (what swaps with it)

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  looking4psd 
#1 ·
My transmission is on it's last leg and I need to find a cheaper alternative than a rebuild to get me another year at least. So I'm looking on Craigslist and other used places for one. I have a 7.3 4x4 automatic. I'm assuming it is the 4r100, but there is a listing for one on craigslist where a guy is selling a 4r100 that came out of a van but doesn't fit his 7.3 f250. So that leads me to believe that there are different versions.

Do I need a 4x4 transmission off of a 7.3 diesel? Would a 2wd auto off a diesel fit? What else would fit that would widen my search? Looking at the transmission and 4x4 transaxle, it looks like maybe the 2wd would be the same as the 4x4. But I don't have any experience.

thanks

#2 ·
Based off of looking at rebuilt ones, you are looking at a 7.3 specific 4x4 4r100. I'm not sure if the vans are different though I'd be surprised if they were.

A used one will probably be your best bet. Try car-part.com and see what comes up. Try to avoid a 2001 if possible, they are known for failure due to a design change of a diode

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.