Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin into gettin one of these w/ a flat bed on it for work. We drive about 800 miles one way to pick up mowers and would like the diesel power but i am wondering what mods would be good for this truck for maximum towing power. The truck looks to be basically bulletproof but i want er to take care of a few ricers while im at it. Thank you in advance.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Same as any other PSD, Intake and exhaust mods, gauges, vb for the trans, get a chip from DP or TW.

NCH

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have an 01 f450 auto with a tool body on it that will be for sale in the next couple of weeks. No mods done to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know im not up to all the acronyms here but what is a vb for the trans? I am thinkin of doing the cheap semi filter mod to it, that zoodad mod i was just readin about looks like a good cheap thing to do right off the bat too. Beyond that i am thinkin a south bend clutch and a dp-tuner with a little more free flowing exhaust. Is it worth it for a wicked wheel and a ported housing or just go w/ a new turbo? How much power do you have to make before an intercooler upgrade is needed? I dont want to make this thing unreliable or not last forever but i have a need for power.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
i know im not up to all the acronyms here but what is a vb for the trans? I am thinkin of doing the cheap semi filter mod to it, that zoodad mod i was just readin about looks like a good cheap thing to do right off the bat too. Beyond that i am thinkin a south bend clutch and a dp-tuner with a little more free flowing exhaust. Is it worth it for a wicked wheel and a ported housing or just go w/ a new turbo? How much power do you have to make before an intercooler upgrade is needed? I dont want to make this thing unreliable or not last forever but i have a need for power.
Welcome to the ORG!

VB is Valve Body.

DP is good stuff, also Tony Wildman is considered the best out there. A new turbo is more expensive and is not really worth it without bigger injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank ya! ah i figured thats what he ment but wasnt sure. I dont even have to worry about it she's got the 6 speed manual. I wanna be able to pull the world in the other direction if i anchor this truck to the ground so im thinkin a new turbo and injectors wont be necessary or am a completly backwards? i would think 300 horse or so at the wheels would make it about perfect.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
dont matter what ya do it wont run up to 90mph ..lol they arent good racers I have 2 of them one with a 7.3 one with a 6.0

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Thank ya! ah i figured thats what he ment but wasnt sure. I dont even have to worry about it she's got the 6 speed manual. I wanna be able to pull the world in the other direction if i anchor this truck to the ground so im thinkin a new turbo and injectors wont be necessary or am a completly backwards? i would think 300 horse or so at the wheels would make it about perfect.
You can do about 330ish with a good chip, intake, exhaust... If you want more then you can go to injectors, turbo... etc..etc..

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
problem with the F550 is you are geared way to steep, all the power in the world wont do a lot when you tach out at 83mph ..lol

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
problem with the F550 is you are geared way to steep, all the power in the world wont do a lot when you tach out at 83mph ..lol
Ain't that the truth!! 4.88's suck for highway travel. :crazy: Pull a house down, but don't try to move it very far. :doh:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
300?? You'll get way more than that (and WAY more torque) using a TW tune dude. And better mileage to boot.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
what kind of mileage are you gettin out of that 7.3? what do you have done to it?
If that was directed at me it is stock gets about 13mpg loaded and 13 mpg empty it has the 6 speed too.. it will tow a house off its foundation but isnt fast with 4:88 gears

1 - 13 of 13 Posts