Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 2000 F-250 tomorrow 7.3 PSD. It's automatic has 105,876, subercab, power windows, doors. 4x4 long bed. The interior is super clean They wan't 15,500 for it. Does everyone think this is a fair price? According to kbb its worth 15550. If someone wants a link I can post one then. From what I read, these auto transmissions aren't the greatest? Is that true? Just let me know what you guys think and if you want a link I'll post it.
Thanks
P.s. Are the 6.0 powerstroke motors junk? I also found a F-350 dually that I really like, but I also read that there were a lot of problems with these platforms. Thanks again.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
The 6.0L's aren't junk, but they require diligent maintenance and you will at a minimum need to invest in a monitor like an Edge Insight to keep an eye on things.

As for the 7.3L, that price seems on par for that mileage. The bigger motor didn't put out the numbers of the 6.0L, nor did it have any of the emission control equipment. It will last longer than the 6.0L, and is easier to diagnose and work on. The downside is the 4r110 thats its mated to, the automatic doesn't hold up like the 5r110 does behind the 6.0L.

With either option, the aftermarket has more than enough available to correct the shortcomings. What year is the 6.0L?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Just so you have a feeling, the '03-'04's had their share of issues. Nothing that isn't controllable. You'll be getting the same style suspention and brakes between the '00 and the '04 with the expection of the heavier springs in the DRW.

What are you're plans with the truck? How much/often do you tow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More of a daily driver. Perhaps attempt a truck pull once or twice just to say I've done it before. And probably do some performance upgrades. I'm more familiar with gas engines than diesels. So this is a new experience for me.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
For a daily driver, you should be able to get better mileage on the 7.3L with the 3.73 rear, than you would with the heavier Dually and her 4.10s. Truck pulls are great, but if you end up taking those seriously you'll be looking into a transmission. Definately want to get her tuned, purely from the mileage standpoint. I don't think you'd regret either motor, I'd get the 7.3L for the price if she checks out when you or your mechanic look it over.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. My cousin has owned several diesels, Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. We looked at a 97 7.3 5 speed and he told us what to look for, so we'll give it a shot tomorrow. If it turn's out I get it I'll be sure to post pictures and everything. Thanks for all the info it was a great help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts