Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to diesels and am still learning so take it easy on me... Haha. And sorry for the long post.
I recently purchased my Excursion with 325k miles and she's ran great until today. I was cruising on the highway, approx 70-75 when I needed to pass a car. So I gave it some gas only to realize I never sped up but instead was slowing down. I first thought the transmission was not shifting so I switch OD off and felt it downshift. I was able to maintain 50mph for a few miles but then started losing speed again. As I pulled over to the emergency lane and slowed to about 25, the engine just shut off and would not start. I popped the hood just to make sure all connectors were tight and no piping had come loose and all looked good. After sitting for about 10 minutes I tried to start her up and she started but idled rough. I gassed it to see if she would smoke and no smoke. Maybe a hint of grayish white at first but then just black as I gassed it more. I got it to smooth out some so I put it in gear and drove it home. After about a mile she smoothed out completely and and ran like normal. I came to a stop a few times and started like normal once and then started a little more aggressively and it acted like nothing was ever wrong.
Has anyone ever experienced this or have any clue as to what may have happened?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That time would not cause that issue.
I would guess that there is a problem with a PC of plastic in the fuel tank
The pump housing rots and PC's fall off of it
Run it until it's low on fuel and drop the tank to check the pump. Lots of posts out there about how to do it. Plenty of utube videos.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
What year is the truck? always good to start a post with that information
I suggest getting ForScan to read the codes, write them down and clear the codes
need to see what new codes popup

Fuel pressure would be good to know, you need a gauge or electric sender setup to read that at the fuel filter test port

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Hydro
It's a 2000 Excursion.
In the subject.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Ha, yes it is -- used to looking in the first line of the text

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update because I was able to pull a diagnostic code. Code was P0732. Looks like there's an issue with 2nd gear in the transmission. After reading it looks like it's commonly mis diagnosed as an engine misfire and can cause the engine to shut off like mine is doing. If anyone has had experience in this area please chime in, I guess I'm going to flush it and replace all trans fluid tonight and hopefully it will help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts