Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Water into a connector or sensor, shorting a circuit. Give it a week in dry weather. Washing motors is often problematic.

Speed the drying by plugging the block heater in.

Reactions: olypopper

· Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
23,016 Posts
Do you have a compressor or a leaf blower you can use to blow stuff out? Just thinking out loud.

· Registered
455 Posts
Never, use a Power Washer on 20 year old wire harnesses.
Water Intrusion was my biggest problem with Fire Trucks, worked on them for 20 years.

the corrosion develops shorts between stuff that should not ever be there, and it hides way back into the harnesses where you cannot easily see it.

· Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Never, use a Power Washer on 20 year old wire harnesses.
Water Intrusion was my biggest problem with Fire Trucks, worked on them for 20 years.

the corrosion develops shorts between stuff that should not ever be there, and it hides way back into the harnesses where you cannot easily see it.
FIRST.....I DON'T USUALLY USE A POWER WASHER ON MY (GAS) MOTORS.....AND SINCE YOU SAY IT IS A BAD IDEA ON OUR OLDER TRUCKS.....HOW DO I WASH MY MOTOR.....DO I JUST USE THE CLEANER AND A WATER HOSE?....OR DO I JUST BUCKET RINSE THE MOTOR?.....

ALSO.....I USUALLY DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND LET THE VEHICLE SIT FOR SEVERAL HOURS.....SOMETIMES OVERNIGHT AFTER THE WASH JOB BEFORE I HOOK IT BACK UP AND DRIVE IT.....

THANKS.....

· Registered
455 Posts
I use a bucket of cleaner solution, paint brush, and lots of shop rags.
Rub the solution on and let it soak, wipe it off best you can...
Use Brake cleaner spray in tight spots if the 'dirty look' bothers you.
more shop rags/towels.

· Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I use a bucket of cleaner solution, paint brush, and lots of shop rags.
Rub the solution on and let it soak, wipe it off best you can...
Use Brake cleaner spray in tight spots if the 'dirty look' bothers you.
more shop rags/towels.
SO.....YOU DON'T RINSE OFF THE CLEANER?....YOU JUST WIPE OFF THE EXCESS AND THE DIRT?....

· Registered
455 Posts
SO.....YOU DON'T RINSE OFF THE CLEANER?....YOU JUST WIPE OFF THE EXCESS AND THE DIRT?....
you taking things out of context, I would finish up with hot water, but making damn sure the wiring harness did not get wet.

as for my own truck?
I am leaving it alone, it runs just fine.
If it ain't broke, don't be messing with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts