Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a sclb 2000 f350 with 115k. Im wondering whats the best tuner for the 7.3s I was going to buy a 6.0 so I knew what I wanted but then this deal came up. It has an edge insight in it I believe at the moment 3 settings tow race and extreme. But I feel like theres betters out there with more power. Alot of people have been trying to talk me into the TS 6pos tuner. But I figured id ask and see what you guys use and like thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is a million post on this it you had searched first but since u didn't. The ts is a good option because many company's can burn custom tunes to them. The hydra is another good one. Edge, superchips are all generic and don't do much for supporting mods. I assume your truck is stock. The 7.3l is a slow *** ***** I love mine but you need to do a few more mods to wake her up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I looked just didnt see much for what I was looking for for an answer and it has a 4 inch straight pipe intake bigger turbo and tranny rebuild with a hd torque coverter its pretty fast for a 7.3 I thought cause I know they are normally nutless. But I was also wondering could I stack the edge tuner with the TS ?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
cant stack chips on 7.3's

a ts chip with custom tunes is better than edge.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
my vote for THE BEST TUNER is going to be the PHP hydra along with boost, pyro and trans temp gauges installed

PHP phoenix chip would be my next best recomendation

the TS is ok for the price but after having one myself i would spend the $50 extra on a PHP phoenix. the TS will burn up the pistons over time if you're going to use the power.

i have an old edge evolution that is retired to the glove box for code reader duties only until i get an auto enginuity set up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have never heard of ts burning up pistons. On my last truck I had a ts 6 position chip and everyone I know with 7.3s have ts 6 position chips. Definatly go either php or ts. Next question if you go ts is who will you have custom tune it. I did have a problem with my ts, though. I called ts and I sent it to them on a Monday, they got it, and sent me a brand new chip, which I received it on Friday and installed. The problem is that it was jumping in between tunes, say I was in high idle (OBS didn't have High idle factory) it would jump out then go back in making it sound like someone was slightly revving it.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
the TS causes much higher EGT than PHP tunes. I can easily get above 1200 in the 75 hp setting. with PHP's 80hp setting I can't get above 1200 and there is much more power there.

EGT's burn up pistons. It happens to many people. after having both tunes i would never go back to TS tunes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are you saying theoretically or you have actually seen burnt up pistons from a ts? Has anyone else had both ts and php and agree with steve? Now you have me interested and questioning my choice of ts. Are all of the tunes the same from php whether on the chip like yours, the hydra, or the phoenix? Not very familiar with PHP.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
i have not seen or heard of burnt pistons necessarily due to TS programming per say, just due to high EGT's. I know that with the TS i can easily get into the danager zones and could easily hold my EGT's at 13-1400 for an extended period of time while towing through mountain passes (see Highway through hell on discovery). i had to switch it to stock in the summer while towing a trailer.

PHP tunes with more power run 400+ degrees cooler with no smoke.

i miss the smoke though...

·
Registered
735 Posts
So the php on an extreme mode will not smoke? Or do you miss the smoke while towing? Are all the php products using the same tuning? Did you have custom or stock tuning on your TS?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Just get a PHP Hydra, you get several tunes from Bill with the chip plus if you want to explore the market with other tuner's, then all you do is load their tunes onto the Hydra. But I would first put some gauge's(EGT,Transmission, Boost) on the truck

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
So the php on an extreme mode will not smoke? Or do you miss the smoke while towing? Are all the php products using the same tuning? Did you have custom or stock tuning on your TS?
TS doesn't do custom tuning. I have a TS chip with PHP tunes. I believe they're the tunes you would get on the phoenix chip. the extreme tune on mine isn't right for my truck. i have stock, high idle, heavy tow, tow mode, 60 hp and 80hp. the 80 hp setting puts out more power than the TS on extreme with a small amount of diluted smoke, no black cloud from the tail pipe.

the main reason i ended up with PHP tunes was due to the TS chip causing a really bad shift from 3rd to 4th under throttle. the transmission would upshift with the tc locked, unlock the tc in 4th and then violently lock it again in 4th. it was going to destroy my tranny.

·
Registered
735 Posts
TS doesn't do custom tuning. I have a TS chip with PHP tunes. I believe they're the tunes you would get on the phoenix chip. the extreme tune on mine isn't right for my truck. i have stock, high idle, heavy tow, tow mode, 60 hp and 80hp. the 80 hp setting puts out more power than the TS on extreme with a small amount of diluted smoke, no black cloud from the tail pipe.

the main reason i ended up with PHP tunes was due to the TS chip causing a really bad shift from 3rd to 4th under throttle. the transmission would upshift with the tc locked, unlock the tc in 4th and then violently lock it again in 4th. it was going to destroy my tranny.
The chip itsself is TS performances design IIRC. So you have the ts chip with php tunes on it, is that what you mean? On my ts, ts canned tuning, my 100hp had more power then the 140hp.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
"best" is all a matter of opinion.

some good choices are tony wildman, php, gearhead, no limit etc

i get zero smoke on php 140 ext, my truck runs fantastic.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
i haven't yet seen a complaint from anyone that has PHP tunes on their truck. it seems like very few people switch from PHP to another brand. many of the other brands seem to have a fair number of complaints.... some worse than others.

·
Registered
460 Posts
On my 120 race setting I can get a tiny amount of smoke when I gun it before turbo is spooled. Not much at all. Very clean tunes from php although I haven't had others. No complaints for me. 65 tow tune and 80 dd are my most used.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Is the php tunes you are all talking about on a ts style chip or on a php provided thing like the hydra?

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
the phoenix chip is a ts chip with php tunes on it

hydra is a completely different system by php

they work the same way. mine is a phoenix. all of these other guys are making me want to get a hydra

1 - 20 of 42 Posts