Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at leveling my 2010 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 (Lariat). Been researching and seems that 2" spacers for the coil springs would be right. I picked up the Zone Offroad spacers for $100 and now was told I may need longer front shocks and maybe trackbar? Anyone that has done this, can you tell me from your experience what I really need? Also, I assume I will need to get front end alignment after install?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I bought a newton leveling kit for 70 bux because it came with spacers for the track bar to recenter the axle. If you just out spacers in the coils, the axle will be shifted slightly one way. I have a 1.5" on mine and I didn't have to get new shocks. Not sure on 2" though. It's good to get an alignment to double check nothing got messed up when doing the kit.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Mine has 2.5 inch spacers. You should get new shocks so that they are the right length or you could damage the shocks in the long run by over extending them. As for the track bar, your axel will be off center. You can use spacers as travis said (I have the newton spacers) or you could get a whole new track bar. I would get an alignment. 9/10 times your alignment will be slightly off after a lift install.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. This is starting to add up. Leveling kit was cheap but adding new track bar, shocks and alignment is few hundred $$. I want to do it right so guess I better holdoff and get more $

·
Registered
400 Posts
check the alignment if not throw some money in the air for the tire gods as well

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to get alignment but didn't realize I need shocks and to buy a adjustable track bar. Track bar seems pretty costly for what it is. :'(

·
Registered
863 Posts
some companies sell a shock extender bracket that bolts on. worked great for my dads 2012 f350. the axle moved just slightly but nothing we were worried bout and went on down the road. truck drives just fine!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yea those shock extenders help.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Check out Jason at newton lifts. His leveling kits come with shock extenders if needed, track bar spacers for the track bar bracket with all corrosion resistant hardware and the spacers are aluminum. And they are pretty straight forward to install. His 2" kit is like 70 or 75 bux. Google newton lifts

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Start with a complete level kit from a company that get you all needed...more $ to start but ...The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I used a readylift kit that included the bar an shock extenders and it works great

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have appointment this Saturday morning at local 4 x 4 performance shop to install level kit (spacers), new shocks and do the alignment. I will ask them again about track bar....originally they told me not "really necessary" for a 2" level...but I want it done right so I will talk to them before handing over keys.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Anyone who says a adj track bar is not required flunked geometry in hi-school, its the same reason you have to adjust the drag link longer to recenter the steering wheel...Geometry!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Anyone who says a adj track bar is not required flunked geometry in hi-school, its the same reason you have to adjust the drag link longer to recenter the steering wheel...Geometry!
The shop (Pur Perfomance..aka 1st Capital 4wd in St Charles, Missouri) is telling me that by adding only 2" level kit from Zone Offroad.....I should not need track bar. I researched the shop and I know they do alot of lift kits for truck owners and even for local new car dealers (Toyota, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Nissan, Ford). They've been in business for many many years.

I'm confused!:look: I'm very anal about my vehicles and I'm now worried that I will have issues if I just have them install 2" coil spacers and the longer front shocks as planned.

Maybe I'll ask them about this kit from ReadyLift....its 2.5" of lift and it comes with track bar bracket to adjust geometery back to stock.
http://www.readylift.com/images/category/large/185.jpg

Wonder if any forum members from St Louis area know another shop to try?

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
A drop track bar shouldn't be used unless you use a equal droped Pitman arm or you induce bump steer.

This isn't hard to do...the vast majority of my customers install lift kits themselvs.

other option is tell them what you want done..your paying the bill.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A drop track bar shouldn't be used unless you use a equal droped Pitman arm or you induce bump steer.

This isn't hard to do...the vast majority of my customers install lift kits themselvs.

other option is tell them what you want done..your paying the bill.
I called the shop back this morning and had them order me the ReadyLift 2.5" level kit. It comes with a track bar bracket that supposedly compensates the geometery of the lift. I feel more comfortable using this kit more than the cheap $99 coil spacers because of the feedback I got in this forum about tracking issues and needing to align the front axle. They will install on Saturday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice! I got my 2.5" Ready Lift kit installed yesterday and alignment. Truck looks great....nice and level....ready for 35" tires.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I got my 2.5" Ready Lift kit installed yesterday and alignment. Truck looks great....nice and level....ready for 35" tires.
I'm sure u knew this already but our trucks can run 35s stock.

CT is right when it comes to lifts. A lot of engineering goes into the design of our front end suspension at ford. Therefore when modifying a very heavy trucks suspension and like ct said changing the geometry, you are challenging the integrity of the design. It's like putting too much load on a structure....if something is designed for a specific parameter and u exceed the limits of that parameter then the factor of safety is cut in half (or more) and will wear twice or three times as fast until its inevitable failure point.

Big lifts are awesome looking, but these trucks were not built for mudding or off-road use despite what the sticker says. They are heavy and built for power to tow...which unfortunately lifts do not help.

As I digress, if you don't plan to keep the truck long or plan to make a significant amount of money later to fix the rest of your worn out front end components, then a cheaper lift will suffice.

If your like me--love the look of a lift but don't have $2k to drop on a mechanically sound lift that will perform at the integrity of the factory suspension, your money is best spent on good shocks and quality tires. (Good shocks cost 200+ a shock and good tires cost 400+ a tire)

Like I said before if u just wanna run 35s then u don't need a lift. I run 35s with no rub and no death wobble or suspension problems. Regardless ur gonna be 2k out after tires. Haha. Pay to play!

This is all a matter of opinion of course. Good luck with the lift. Post pics!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea...I realized I can fit 35" at stock height. I just meant now that I got level kit installed....that 35" (or 37"'s) is my next purchase...:woot:

I dont disagree with your statement about trucks and lift kits, etc however, I'm sure just as Ford spent money and efforts engineering vehicles, so do many of the top aftermarket companies. After reading all the advice on this forum and spending quite a bit of time researching....I decided to spend the $$$ and get a higher quality leveling kit instead of the $100 "special". I have no plans on mudding or offroad "bashing" my truck nor is a full lift kit something I would even desire.

When it comes to decision of adding aftermarket performance or cosmetic parts to vehicles, everyone has opinions. I do my research and spend the right amount of $$ so that I get quality results, not headaches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts