Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of 155/30 plugged spill port injectors in my truck about a month ago. Resealed the upgraded stand pipes I already had in with AP0028 seal kit. Started it up with the revised tunes and everything was alright at first. Had the occasional cylinder 2 contribution code but I thought it might be working the air out of the system. I cleared the code and it ran fine and didn't come back at first. Towed my 30ft trailer with 4 wheelers 3 hours away and home with no issues, however after I got home the issue with the cylinder came back and not all the time. I'd start the truck and it'd run fine most times and occasionally it would have a lumpy idle, shut it off and restart and it would run fine but had thrown a P0266 for cylinder contribution cylinder 2. Code would clear and truck would run alright until I came to a stop sign or something and it would start acting up again with the same code. Pulled the injector out and no blow by on copper crush washer and o-rings looked great. Disassembled the injector and inspected the springs, plunger, injector body and spool and found no damage or wear. Injector tip is clean, had carbon on it but clean, and allows air to be blown through. Brass plug is still in the body and is flush with the radius of the body. Completely reassembled everything with hold down torqued to 28 ft-lbs, rail 12 ft-lbs, stand pipe to 60 ft-lbs and started up fine, get warmed up take a drive and it would start all over again. I did this twice with tear down and reassembly, picked up another injector and swapped nozzle into the new one and plugged the spill port with brass plug, new internal and external o-rings and the same results. It won't throw the contribution code all the time but after driving a bit the code will come up and I'll have to restart the truck, sometimes it goes away other times not. I replaced the injector harness and have the same results. Truck fires up good hot or cold, icp warm is 630ish, ipr warm is 24%, ficm is 49.5-50v, fuel pressure is 65 at idle warm. Truck hasn't been driven more than a mile or so since this issue has started. Would a failing ficm logic board be causing this issue? Since it's not a constant I'm not sure it's a mechanical issue in the cylinder but I'm going to do a compression test to make sure. Anyone have any ideas I haven't gone over? I'm going to swap in a spare ficm in the morning to see if it's a logic board issue.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
I would have swapped that injector to another hole, just to be sure if the problem followed or stayed at number 2

Yeah, could be a FICM -- have you done a click test and listened closely at the clicks -- they should sound "even"
ForScan is my preferred tool

Reactions: Vegvisir

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah left the valve cover off and listened to the injectors to make sure they are all clicking, started and ran it with it off as well and everything seemed to be working. I have not done a buzz test yet. No visual indications of pushrod issues or rocker arm and the injectors were all acting normally when I had the cover off with no codes showing. I'll look into ForScan to see what the requirements for that to work are, normally I have my solus but it was sent in for repair.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the idea of switching the injector to see if the problem follows it, I'd do a contribution test at the same time if you have the ability to do so....

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Gonna own a diesel, you need to be able to get codes and monitor the system when there is a problem

These should be mandatory for any 6.0 and 7.3 (info for 7.3 is missing)
Fuel pressure gauge -- (M12x1.5 thread adapter - 6.0) -- (7.3 ??)
Base oil pressure gauge -- (test port on front of oil cooler housing (#06 ORB - 9/16x18 imperial o-ring fitting - 6.0) -- (7.3 ??)

I suggest downloading ForScan and using the OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter for troubleshooting
Torque Pro would be good for everyday use with an old phone or tablet -- can be mounted on the dash
Scan Gauge is small and simple -- can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster
there are other monitor solutions, but the price goes higher

ForScan is a simple download for PC, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
There is a "demo" in the app options, so you can use the app without being connected, to get familiar with the screens
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and a reliable adapter -- the MX+ is smaller, faster and more features

The PC version is the most powerful and does the "click test" and other tests
you do not need the license for troubleshooting

Would be nice if you posted the numbers
Post (before it starts and also during the long crank):
ICP pressure
ICP volts
ICP desired
IPR duty cycle
Cranking rpm
Fuel (injector) pulse width
FICM M-Power
FICM L-Power
FICM V-Power
Sync (FICM and Cam/Crank)

Reactions: Vegvisir and bismic

·
Registered
2004 F250 SD 6.0
49 Posts
From my experience, the injector harness is more likely the culprit than the FICM… again, this has been what I’ve experienced on our trucks. I don’t want to derail your diagnosis but I’ve had the same exact issue on each of the two 6.0’s and both times the new harness fixed it. Wiggle test made it easy.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,354 Posts
From my experience, the injector harness is more likely the culprit than the FICM… again, this has been what I’ve experienced on our trucks. I don’t want to derail your diagnosis but I’ve had the same exact issue on each of the two 6.0’s and both times the new harness fixed it. Wiggle test made it easy.
That works better for an electrical code instead of a contribution code.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,354 Posts
It could be a logic issue from the FICM.

I almost hate to say it, but it still could be that injector. It would have been advantageous to install it in another cylinder when you were doing all of the inspections on it - say swap it with #4. Then you could have seen if the code followed the injector or not. I think I would still do that after swapping in the known good FICM.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could be a logic issue from the FICM.

I almost hate to say it, but it still could be that injector. It would have been advantageous to install it in another cylinder when you were doing all of the inspections on it - say swap it with #4. Then you could have seen if the code followed the injector or not. I think I would still do that after swapping in the known good FICM.
It might still be an injector issue, I'm going to swap holes and see what it does. The FICM didn't solve it either, I swapped in another FICM from a running truck and it still does it. I pinned out the old harness that I removed for the new one and the ohms readings on all the pins were good and didn't show any signs of breakage. The forscan connector arrives today so I can play with that and see what it tells me. I have a compression test kit so I'll run one on the #2 & #4 cylinder and see what it tells me. I have a little smoke from the oil fill, it's steady and not puffing and it's not rolling out like it would with a ring or piston issue. Pain to do that with the bypass filter so I put the discharge into a container and used the fill cap off the mustang to see if it would push it off and it didn't, just vibrated from motor movement. With this being and intermittent code and not steady no matter the condition I'm not inclined to think it's a cylinder issue but I've been wrong before. I used dye penetrant when I inspected the injector body looking for cracks and didn't find any, the only place I didn't do that to was the tip so I'm wondering if it's an issue with this tip. Also when I pull the injector out I'm going to scope the cylinder and see if there's anything I can see visually wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan let us know what you find!

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, you installed the new harness and test drove? Just wanted to clarify…
Yes it has a new harness in the truck for the injectors and it's still doing the same thing, it's a new oem harness I bought a few years ago when I studded my truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts