Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
A 650hp turbo doesn't mean youre going to get 650 from a 6.0. A duramax with supporting mods can make 650 on a 63/68/91, a 6.0 sure as hell wont... Its all about air flow, the duramax head flows far more air as a 6.0 head does.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A 650hp turbo doesn't mean youre going to get 650 from a 6.0. A duramax with supporting mods can make 650 on a 63/68/91, a 6.0 sure as hell wont... Its all about air flow, the duramax head flows far more air as a 6.0 head does.
I would agree with that for sure. Even when talking to any of these vendors they say "well that turbo made 700 on a Duramax..."

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
New idea... Does anyone know where I can get a compressor cover for a powermax? I called Garett and they will not sell it by it self.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I have valve measurements, but in a 6.0 head the valves arent the restriction. Ill have a stock duramax head flowed too. I gotta get with my port work guy tomorrow and see what hes found out. I can say duramax intake ports are probably almost 2x bigger than 6.0. As for valve sizes, dmax intakes are smaller than 6.0 intakes by about 1mm, and dmax exhaust valves are bigger than 6 0 exh valves by about 2mm iirc. Ill take some pics of the ports and some valve size measurements and all. Also dmax valves are all nitrided, bad a$$ stuff.

Charlie ill shoot you a text in a few, we'll work something out.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Greg have yall done any port work, or any flow data on 6.0's with dyno or track times to show any discernable gains? Ive spoken with lots of shops a out this, some im sure exaggerated their gains, but no doubt i think there are gains to be had with port work. Id also love to hear if yall have any data on aftermarket cams for the 6.0...since we're on airflow.

One minor concern of mine, and im 50/50...I think it coukd go either way.. but im thinking maybe low rpm/low boost with huge ports and a big turbo thats not as efricient down low might result in higher cruising egts. id imagine smaller ports might actually get more air volume into the cylinder at low rpm/boost...everything is a trade off. Maybe a vgt, and certainly compounds might be enough to make up for it and youd never notice a difference cruising or towing at low rpm...im kinda 50/50 on how thatll work out. Definitely peak numbers woukd show bennifits from more airflow. The factory made the ports that size for a reason...because it wss designed to roll down the highway at 1600 rpm under load, its hard to ootimize that, and make optimal airflow for 4k rpm and 40+ psi of boost. The 6.7 cummins has 2 intake port sizes, one for the dodge trucks that is a larger port design, no doubt so they can get the 400hp or whatever they advertise them at, the other ports are cast smaller, and they come in the bigger 4500+ trucks, and the cab and chassis trucks that are rated at like 285 hp or something waaaay lower, again, no doubt to ootimize efficiency of what the heavier duty trucks are being used for. Dont get me wrong.. I hate cummins, but just for example sake...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
3 years later... I type "ford 6.0 2.5 turbo" into google and this is the first thread that pops up...

Reactions: Canadian Mind

·
Vendor
13,465 Posts
Lol. Our work stock and 2.5 classes are separate. But work stock K still has to bush 2.5 and be stock appearing. We've got a bad azz 6.0 pushing 800hp with a custom built charger and sticks. Always places top 5 and does decent with the 2.5 trucks running T4 mounts.

BTW, our circuit is the Buckeye Truck Pullers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Was going to say I'm always in the top 5 and finished third for points in North East WI. We are required to be true 2.5 bore stock appearing. Charlie built me a turbo outside of his normal stage 1 or 1.5 if anyone is looking for somthing outside the norm.

·
Vendor
13,465 Posts
Before I knew Charlie, Barder was the only one that I knew building VNT chargers at the time. But Charlie is doing a phenomenal job on his designs. I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Unless they simply bought too big of charger, but that's their fault for thinking a big charger will work on small sticks.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.