Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think that with the 68mm that I have, 600 is possible but going down to a true 2.5 I may be screwed because I dont 550 is going to cut the mustard in the 2.5 class.

feeling kind of discouraged...

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I believe one of the biggest reasons that we have a hard time competing is the lack of time, research, and money that has been put into the 6.0 powerstroke.

A lot of people wrote off the 6.0 years ago and quite researching and developing new parts for it. A ton of money went into the cummins and duramax because they could hit 500hp easier... and it the 6.0 was had a ton of reliability issues

but IMO it takes almost the same amount of money to hit 600hp on a 6.0 as it does on a dmax. The dmax has a slight edge with common rail and supposedly better flowing heads (not much actual data). It also has a slight edge with displacement.

But the common rail can only go so far before they have to add nozzles...
We could theoretically have an edge because we can have higher injection pressure than they can.

They are also limited to basically the same turbo as us... but people have put more time and money into the dmax turbos over the years... before recently we basically just had the powermax turbo

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I beleive the 6.0's are making a comeback... If you were at a sled pull 4-5 years ago, there may have only been 2 or 3 Fords and of those, only 1 of them ran good. Now you are starting to see more and more at every hook.

I think people like Jesse Warren who started to offer cheaper and completely reliable injector options is really helping out. Think back like 5 years, 6.0 injectors were like $4000. Now a days there are alot more options in terms of turbos and everything.

One thing that I noticed and I may be worng but l tend to see lower HP but good running 6.0's running up there with some heavy hitting Duramax's that outpower them by 100 or more HP.

So does anyone have any turbo input?....

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I have heard good things about the fleece chargers... But I would like to know what kind of turbine they are using before you buy the same thing as a powermax or mtw stage 1 for twice the price.

Also did anyone else notice that it states the MAX HP as 650hp??? what does that even mean? Does it mean that with 500/150 injectors and two stages of nitrous that it can hit 650hp??? or does it mean that it blows up at 651hp :hehe:

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
I'm wondering where you are getting the numbers from for the Danville trucks. I know Danville can build some mean trucks. But their numbers always to be really high off of their own dyno.

·
Hate stupid people
8,969 Posts
I'm wondering where you are getting the numbers from for the Danville trucks. I know Danville can build some mean trucks. But their numbers always to be really high off of their own dyno.
When I pull against them during the season. A good friend of mine had them build him a 2.6 truck a few years back, and he takes it back a few times a year for repairs, or complete overhaul (every winter) so he keeps in touch with the guys that go in and out of there. As well as being good friends with Mark and the rest of the crew

·
Hate stupid people
8,969 Posts
Do you think the inflat their numbers any? Or is their dyno just that off? I'm going back up there Saturday to pick upy buddies truck.
I'm sure some of the guys obviously inflate their numbers some. But the guys who are religiously at the top of the class on the circuit are in the range.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I really dont see 700-800 being to far fetched out of a duramax. It sounds dumb but you can almost tell by just how they sound.

I am thinking that maybe I would be better off just running a tappered cover on what I have and calling it a day... who knows.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have been debating what I'm going to do next season. Your right, the couple of pulls I went to this year I finished within 10 to 15 feet of those Duramaxes when they put 30 ft on most of the trucks. I know I'm lucky if I have 475 HP but finish close to those guys.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
I'm sure some of the guys obviously inflate their numbers some. But the guys who are religiously at the top of the class on the circuit are in the range.
I was talking about Danville inflating the numbers. My neighbor has a LMM single cab 4x4, according to Danville it put down 521rwhp. Ok sounds good, right? Well when I had my stage 2 with 545rwhp, I was so much quicker than he is. How is that? Espically considering that I weigh so much more than he does.

Like I said before. I know they can build awesome trucks. But I think their dyno is either off or they (Danville) inflats their numbers. Now the same neighbor will be at the next Purdue dyno event and will dyno there also. That way we will see the difference between Danville dyno and Fleece dyno.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK so in order to fix the head flow problem its pretty much go with aftermarket heads? Port work doesnt cut it?

And I have owned chevys so I'm well aware of EFI live, Ive had trucks tuned with it. Didnt have the tuner kit itself, but had it dyno tuned by an EFI live guy.

I realize EFI live is a really comprehensive ECM TCM programming tool, but I didnt realize that having a tuner dyno tune our trucks and load them with an SCT was so inferior to the EFI live setups.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
OK so in order to fix the head flow problem its pretty much go with aftermarket heads? Port work doesnt cut it?

And I have owned chevys so I'm well aware of EFI live, Ive had trucks tuned with it. Didnt have the tuner kit itself, but had it dyno tuned by an EFI live guy.

I realize EFI live is a really comprehensive ECM TCM programming tool, but I didnt realize that having a tuner dyno tune our trucks and load them with an SCT was so inferior to the EFI live setups.
The only aftermarket heads cost $10k dollars...to my knowledge there's only 2 trucks running them as of now. Theyre billet aluminum and im sure they help the flow a ton, but I can swing 10k even if they quadrupled the airflow.

Im working on developing a repestable port profile, lots of other shops have done this with seemingly positive results. Elite offers porting, I think rcd even said they have a cnc program for their heads, but the castings are too inconsistent for cnc port work imo. Jesse warren evidently did a full race port on his heads and went with an aftermarket cam, stock sized valves and picked up around 100rwhp. I dropped off several scrap heads with a friend of mine who has run his own porting business for 20 years, he is working to see whats possible, and then whats worth it. If it would cost 1200 bucks in portwork to pick up 20rwhp then its not really worth it. The trouble is theres just not a ton of room to remove significant material where it wouod help most. He has a flow bench and sonic tester...ill be running them on my truck in the spring to see what kinds of gains will be had. When I get airflow data, ill post up the cfm gains over stock. Talking with other shops, 35-60 rwhp gain has been reported from good port work, but I dont know how independently the port work was tested. More to come on that.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.