Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are in the Ohio/PA area, the 2.5 workstock class is dominated by 700HP Duramax's. I came into a 68mm RCD Powermax but I can pull it in the 2.5 class. Does anyone know of a 2.5 leagal turbo that will support 190/100 injectors? The only one that I can find is the one from Danville who just happens to build most of the Duramax's dominating 2.5 class. BTW, they said that the 2.5 WS class in Indiana is about an 800HP class out threre way.
Nuts!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres lots of options out there if your willing to go non vgt. Are you allowed to bush the inlet? Im from wi so our rules are different.
That was my initail plan was to have it bushed down but all of the pulling sanctions clearly state that bushings/tappered/stepped inlets are not allowed and its worded"must be a true bore" inlet. There are a couple sanctioning bodies up andsome require OEM make specific turbo and others do not. I would rather keep it a VGT because it is my daily driver as well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a 64mm inlet with a batmowheel in it. it is listed to have modifications done to the turbine housing but I am calling them to see what exactly they are.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been looking into this option and have a couple of ideas... but it will be a while before anything gets made or tested.

I was thinking about making a custom 63.5x94 comp with .72ar and mating it with a 74x70gt40 turbine to see how it does for the 2.5 stock class.

But with dyno and sled competitions I feel that he non vgt route will always be the way to go. The non vgt will flow more air up top. You won't have worry about the quick spooling vgt
Non VGT will move for air for sure but alot of the pulls in ohio require an OEM/make specific charger so basically a Garret VGT turbo.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are the turbine specs on the stock powermax compared to the GT40?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think this would be a good seller since options are slim for guys dead set on vgts. Half the problem is the 6.0 doesnt respond as well to a 2.5 sized turbo like the duramax. It isnt unlikely to see a duramax make close to 700hp on one of danvilles 2.5 turbos unfortunatly.
Some 2.5 classes are not limited to VGT's and they got some hot Duramax's hitting 800HP. There are some trucks up here who put 30' on the whole class and they all pass tech inspection.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this would be a good seller since options are slim for guys dead set on vgts. Half the problem is the 6.0 doesnt respond as well to a 2.5 sized turbo like the duramax. It isnt unlikely to see a duramax make close to 700hp on one of danvilles 2.5 turbos unfortunatly.
What do you think is the most horse power that a 6.0 could make with a true 2.5 turbo?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think that with the 68mm that I have, 600 is possible but going down to a true 2.5 I may be screwed because I dont 550 is going to cut the mustard in the 2.5 class.

feeling kind of discouraged...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I beleive the 6.0's are making a comeback... If you were at a sled pull 4-5 years ago, there may have only been 2 or 3 Fords and of those, only 1 of them ran good. Now you are starting to see more and more at every hook.

I think people like Jesse Warren who started to offer cheaper and completely reliable injector options is really helping out. Think back like 5 years, 6.0 injectors were like $4000. Now a days there are alot more options in terms of turbos and everything.

One thing that I noticed and I may be worng but l tend to see lower HP but good running 6.0's running up there with some heavy hitting Duramax's that outpower them by 100 or more HP.

So does anyone have any turbo input?....

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I really dont see 700-800 being to far fetched out of a duramax. It sounds dumb but you can almost tell by just how they sound.

I am thinking that maybe I would be better off just running a tappered cover on what I have and calling it a day... who knows.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A 650hp turbo doesn't mean youre going to get 650 from a 6.0. A duramax with supporting mods can make 650 on a 63/68/91, a 6.0 sure as hell wont... Its all about air flow, the duramax head flows far more air as a 6.0 head does.
I would agree with that for sure. Even when talking to any of these vendors they say "well that turbo made 700 on a Duramax..."

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
New idea... Does anyone know where I can get a compressor cover for a powermax? I called Garett and they will not sell it by it self.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
3 years later... I type "ford 6.0 2.5 turbo" into google and this is the first thread that pops up...

Reactions: Canadian Mind
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.