Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are in the Ohio/PA area, the 2.5 workstock class is dominated by 700HP Duramax's. I came into a 68mm RCD Powermax but I can pull it in the 2.5 class. Does anyone know of a 2.5 leagal turbo that will support 190/100 injectors? The only one that I can find is the one from Danville who just happens to build most of the Duramax's dominating 2.5 class. BTW, they said that the 2.5 WS class in Indiana is about an 800HP class out threre way.
Nuts!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres lots of options out there if your willing to go non vgt. Are you allowed to bush the inlet? Im from wi so our rules are different.
That was my initail plan was to have it bushed down but all of the pulling sanctions clearly state that bushings/tappered/stepped inlets are not allowed and its worded"must be a true bore" inlet. There are a couple sanctioning bodies up andsome require OEM make specific turbo and others do not. I would rather keep it a VGT because it is my daily driver as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any vgt of your choice equivelant size of a normal powermax (63.5) is really going to be your only options then. Unless a turbo builder chimes in and wants to build you somthing, it just gets expensive from there.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I have been looking into this option and have a couple of ideas... but it will be a while before anything gets made or tested.

I was thinking about making a custom 63.5x94 comp with .72ar and mating it with a 74x70gt40 turbine to see how it does for the 2.5 stock class.

But with dyno and sled competitions I feel that he non vgt route will always be the way to go. The non vgt will flow more air up top. You won't have worry about the quick spooling vgt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a 64mm inlet with a batmowheel in it. it is listed to have modifications done to the turbine housing but I am calling them to see what exactly they are.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been looking into this option and have a couple of ideas... but it will be a while before anything gets made or tested.

I was thinking about making a custom 63.5x94 comp with .72ar and mating it with a 74x70gt40 turbine to see how it does for the 2.5 stock class.

But with dyno and sled competitions I feel that he non vgt route will always be the way to go. The non vgt will flow more air up top. You won't have worry about the quick spooling vgt
Non VGT will move for air for sure but alot of the pulls in ohio require an OEM/make specific charger so basically a Garret VGT turbo.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are the turbine specs on the stock powermax compared to the GT40?

·
Registered
292 Posts

I think this would be a good seller since options are slim for guys dead set on vgts. Half the problem is the 6.0 doesnt respond as well to a 2.5 sized turbo like the duramax. It isnt unlikely to see a duramax make close to 700hp on one of danvilles 2.5 turbos unfortunatly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think this would be a good seller since options are slim for guys dead set on vgts. Half the problem is the 6.0 doesnt respond as well to a 2.5 sized turbo like the duramax. It isnt unlikely to see a duramax make close to 700hp on one of danvilles 2.5 turbos unfortunatly.
Some 2.5 classes are not limited to VGT's and they got some hot Duramax's hitting 800HP. There are some trucks up here who put 30' on the whole class and they all pass tech inspection.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you think is the most horse power that a 6.0 could make with a true 2.5 turbo?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
What are the turbine specs on the stock powermax compared to the GT40?
powermax = 63.5x88 comp, 72.5x66 turbine

there are a couple of gt40 turbines... but mine measure 74x70

my comp will measure 63.5 x 94 with extended tips

I probably should not even be posting this up here because it will be a little while until i can offer anything to the public

·
Registered
292 Posts
What do you think is the most horse power that a 6.0 could make with a true 2.5 turbo?

Im not one to throw numbers around because someone will disagree but realistically imo 550 would be on the way high end with a 2.5 vgt unless charlie built somthing like explained above. A non vgt closer to six hundred. This all depending on the injector size and maintaining icp.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Im not one to throw numbers around because someone will disagree but realisticly imo 550 would be on the way high end with 2.5 vgt unless charlie built somthing like explained above. A non vgt closer to six hundred. This all depending on the injector size and maintaining icp.
^^^^ im with him

I believe a heavily modified truck 2.5 turbo should hit 550-600hp but it will be very smokey and hot.

Bryan (Tuscany) hit 550hp on an MTW stage 1 turbo with 175/75, a ficm tune, 6.4 ported intake manfiold, air intake, and a good tune. Now that is not the average but it is possible to get up that high

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I think there would be a market.
Hopefully... I was talking with Jesse Warren and he also thinks there would be a market for something like that...

I am looking into designing the wheels here soon

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.