Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I loaded the 210 tune in and hooked onto a 24' toy hauler fully loaded and headed up donner summit. With my 37" Nittos I pulled the grade at 65mph and could excelerate anytime I wanted to...I could'nt believe it!! I averaged 10.5 mpg on the 300 mile journey:thumb: Anyone freaked out about spartan just get it and dont look back:nod:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Those are some pretty good number for towing. What were you egt's running?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome to the Nor-Cal club!

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Good deal man! That is great mileage pulling a grade at 65 mph, and on 37's. I too would like to know your EGT's. I would like to see how comparable they are to running a grade without a trailer

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EGT's were running around 1100-1300 when I had my foot stuffed in it, I got lucky and never got slowed down befor the grades so I never buried the throttle, the trailer had a slanted nose on it to so I think that helped me a bit. temp was around 60 outside.:thumb:

·
Registered
764 Posts
how warm was the tranny thats the biggest thing for me when im goin over a pass

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you wern't by chance hauling a rock crawler were you?
no, just towed it up to stay in it the last month for work in sierraville/loyalton

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
57 Posts
I towed with my truck for the first time going to Indy a 900 mile round trip. 210 program installed.

Needless to say Ive just spent 2 days at Suncoast having a transmission completely rebuilt with everything they offer. 6,700 miles total on the transmission. Oh and the rear main seal was leaking and they replaced that a well.

Their professional opinion is that the trans cannot cope with a 210 hp program and a 16-17k load. Might be fine pulling smaller loads and such etc but the overdrive plates were completely burnt from slipping! Just a fyi for the guys who actually pull a heavy load like I do. Mines a 40 ft toyhauler with race bike, spare engine and everything else for 4 days away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I towed with my truck for the first time going to Indy a 900 mile round trip. 210 program installed.

Needless to say Ive just spent 2 days at Suncoast having a transmission completely rebuilt with everything they offer. 6,700 miles total on the transmission. Oh and the rear main seal was leaking and they replaced that a well.

Their professional opinion is that the trans cannot cope with a 210 hp program and a 16-17k load. Might be fine pulling smaller loads and such etc but the overdrive plates were completely burnt from slipping! Just a fyi for the guys who actually pull a heavy load like I do. Mines a 40 ft toyhauler with race bike, spare engine and everything else for 4 days away.
What kind of setup do you have in your truck? Gear ratio, tire size, are you lifted? I'll be pulling my jayco (about 13-14k) to Florida next week and was going to use the 210. Now I'm second guessing myself.

From what I've been seeing on these forums anything over about 13-14k you should drop down to the 150 but I've also heard people using the 250 also. 6700 isn't that much any chance that you just got a bad one?

·
Registered
57 Posts
3.73 gears, not lifted and stock tires and wheels. Sure there is a chance the tranny was bad but Suncoast didnt think so. Im just giving feedback on my personal truck so it doesnt happen to anyone else. :thumb: I can tell you this it wont happen again!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of setup do you have in your truck? Gear ratio, tire size, are you lifted? I'll be pulling my jayco (about 13-14k) to Florida next week and was going to use the 210. Now I'm second guessing myself.

From what I've been seeing on these forums anything over about 13-14k you should drop down to the 150 but I've also heard people using the 250 also. 6700 isn't that much any chance that you just got a bad one?
just watch your egt's and trans temp, the truck has so much power you dont need to push it at all.:thumb:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I pulled my 10k fifth wheel through the mountains this weekend with the 275v4 and trans temps got up to 240 on 8% grades, everything else was in range, highest egts were 1200

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,812 Posts
dumb newbie question but when you guys say 210, 250, 275 tunes are you stating that they produce 210 etc hp over stock hp?

·
Registered
800 Posts

I'm not sure what your driving style is, but I regularly tow 15K with the 310 tune without any problems what so ever.
The "key" is to understand that you are tuned, and to lighten up on the pedal pressure. If you squash the pedal to the floor, ofcourse you are going to break things, but if you try to understand that going full throttle with a load will harm parts, you will never have a problem.
The steeper the hill and the harder the pull, the more restraint you need to use..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im 36 years old and tow a toyhauler with a 100,000 drag bike in it with spare engines etc. I milk my truck and drive with the utmost respect . The nice thing with these tuned trucks is you do not have to go crazy on the throttle to move. I think I went to half throttle 1 time the whole trip and that was going down hill getting on the highway from a rest stop. Other than that 1/4-1/3 throttle!

All I can tell you is what happened to me. Alot of people guess what the package being towed weighs....I know for a fact what it weighs. If you tow with the 310 more power to you. My truck couldnt do it with a 210 and a 17k package.

I dont think it would have been a problem on flat land but I went thru some hills. The one that killed it was in the city , large grade 45mph ....couldnt get any speed up and that was it!!

Anything can break period....glad it showed itself early so I could fix it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Im 36 years old and tow a toyhauler with a 100,000 drag bike in it with spare engines etc. I milk my truck and drive with the utmost respect . The nice thing with these tuned trucks is you do not have to go crazy on the throttle to move. I think I went to half throttle 1 time the whole trip and that was going down hill getting on the highway from a rest stop. Other than that 1/4-1/3 throttle!

All I can tell you is what happened to me. Alot of people guess what the package being towed weighs....I know for a fact what it weighs. If you tow with the 310 more power to you. My truck couldnt do it with a 210 and a 17k package.

I dont think it would have been a problem on flat land but I went thru some hills. The one that killed it was in the city , large grade 45mph ....couldnt get any speed up and that was it!!

Anything can break period....glad it showed itself early so I could fix it.

Hmmm,
I got to wonder then if you may have had some transmission problems right from the factory.
The other thing I haven't considered is this, I live in upstate NY where it doesn't get hotter than mid 80s, and sometimes 90 degrees. The roads can be hilly, but no real looooong grades.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts