Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
so I noticed on the higlights of the kc turbo it says rebuild able. Is the 38r not rebuild able or? sorry just noticed and it got me thinking lol!

I did some budget checking and to be honest im mostly after sound since i'll never change injectors, highly modify the fuel system etc.

Im probably just going to do an EBPV delete pedestal, WWII wheel? I think that's the right one. A good friend gave me his old high flow outlet when he went to the van turbo.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
With the help of @blue99stroker gave the truck a small facelift. Had a slight issue with marker lights so just waiting to here back from 1aauto. But looks much better I feel.

Hood open is before and hood closed is the after.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
More fun!

Truck got t boned in Fresno CA and truck has been in body shop since the 8th. Plus I got a WW2 from a member here. very excited! I wont lie though... Super disappointed with AAA as an insurance provider though... I called immediately to report accident and give my statement. Waited 3 days after they said they have an adjuster call by noon the next day. They never updated me with anything. I had to call after a week or two of not hearing anything every time only to get major updates lol.

I will be calling USAA again and seeing if they can beat my current home/auto bundle. I love AAA tow service but their insurance has gone down ALOT last few years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
ordered this too. Gonna be another 1980ish mile road trip and the wife hates my oem stereo and speakers hahaha. figured this would be a nice surprise.

crutchfield has really good deals right now. I got all the install stuff, din adapters etc all free with the stereo and speaker etc.

Just got stuff for front door for now and if its super nice i'll order more speakers for the rear doors.

Attachments

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
small update:

got new turbo wheel, and stereo stuff still in the house, truck still in the body shop, but I'll be ordering a semi hard/soft three piece foldable tonnear cover. I have been reading stuff by Big Dave-He has a lowered 2wd, f350 with an aerocap, front air dam, gear vendor and well I read til my eyes bled and learned all his tricks for addons, and the cost/ pay off for each one on a big list I started few months ago.

I'll be ordering a tonneau cover for now. I lost about 1-1.5mpg with my level kit and tires. I confirmed it with the almost exact same route I take to Sandpoint Idaho. did it while towing trailer stock, empty stock and modified stock multiple times. went from almost 18-19mpg to 17-17.6 mpg average. I cant do an aerocap since its beyond my skills and toolbox but he saw consistently 1-1.5mpg more with a standard tonnear cover. Every mod had 1-2500 miles of testing, he used the exact same pump, kept records of temps, air pressure, etc.

Sorry for the rant, Diesel prices jumped 27cents in CA so I have been trying to muddle through myths, practicality, and cost.

The programmers/chips never helped my 6.0l or my current 7.3l and I have about 10k miles worth of fuel cost to show it lol.... but my biggest loss was the level kit and tires, so the tonneau cover should help the most. im about 60%highway and 40% town too so it should yield the highest return.

For anyone interested heres what Big Dave did and the results. He has a red 4dr long bed 2wd f350 7.3l big Dave is famous on ecomodders and his red 7.3l is getting 27+ mpg

things that made no measureable difference for the price, risk, and ease.

-air intake/exhaust-helped power but no economy
-ecm mods-not sure what he did but he is able to change timing, pulse width and other variables with little to no improvement.
-Swapping to single shot injectors- zero improvement and a big cost...

Things that helped and average improvement ( again each mod had a few tanks before to get average then added mod and recorded over 2500ish miles)

-Aim dam with conveyor belt- about 4inches off ground and helped 1-1.5mpg (he ended up raising it to clear snow and it the benefit went away, plus it was very difficult to cut and trim.

-tow mirrors swapped to small paddle mirrors-.5-.75 improvement he knows the margin of error with air desnity, temp, traffic etc but After reading stuff from 2008 by him and hes still active gave me some points of trust for him. (He did go back to regular tow mirrors and added a small mirror that attached to his folded tow mirrors and seemed to help about the same but it took months of driving between updates.

-Side skirts-he saw.5-75 improvement in coordination with air dam but more trouble then they were worth...

-are tonneau cover-consistent 1-1.5mpg improvement on average.

-lowering vehicle- 4in front, 6in rear 1-2mpg (I noticed a loss of high economy for me when I lifted my vehicle etc).

re gearing axels- netted him getting 3mpg more is a nice payoff for the long driver.... he went from 20 to 23 consistently after the install. he ended up with 3:08s for the axels. He has a 6spd manual though too.

-Gear vendor-expensive $4000 at the time but he gained 1.5mpg after the install. He said it had lots of issues with leaks and failures and was disappointed with quality, but gaining 1.5 mpg is impressive when not towing and having a long commute.

-smaller/larger tire size-.5ish mpg max.

-Aerocap/aeroshell- Solid 3mpg more but very impractical, costly, and a few companies made fiberglass ones with windows but very $$$ and their website domain names are for sale now.

-Biggest improvement overall in coordination with mods- THE DRIVER...

Don't worry im not turning into a tree hugger but I commute 105 miles a day once a week and 1-1.5mpg improvement with 3.30$ a gallon of diesel will help me pay the tonneau cover off in less than 6 months maybe more if prices raise again and with the winter blend. An unusal response but its been a secret hobby of mine for a few months now and im finally finding solid, number based improvements that are practical for most pickup owners.

*Im working on learning what he used to modify the ecm too. He never mentions software, a chip or anything since around 2008 when he popped up.
* re-gearing- 3:08 is only available for rear axel and not recommended for 4x4 autos, lowest he found was a 3:55 for 4x4 superduties.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
He is a member over on psn. I’ve talked with him a few times. He was a big thread over there also. We has active a few months ago too.

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
He is a member over on psn. I’ve talked with him a few times. He was a big thread over there also. We has active a few months ago too.
I found his stuff on ecmodder too, hes still around, just not as active. It started out as curiosity hearing about this 25+mpg f350 and I found him lol. Talked only for a second over some pm's but I started digging for fun on what I could do without looking like a tinfoil hatted hippe lol.

so far:

-excursion front bumper with possible air dam (only need to cover lowest part of truck, not all the way to ground). expected .75-1 mpg improvement

-Tonneau cover-Wide bought me a semi hard/soft tri fold unit but I got some paperwork from calstate where a kid did his thesis on aerodymic modifcaitons to pickups. His research and many other of these ecomodder folks made aerocaps (too rich for my blood) but a tonneau cover should yield 1-1.5mpg for freeways speeds over 45mph at least. I am gonna fab an angled one with a 12 degree slope from middle of cap to tailgate this coming summer too.

heres what the folks at ecomodder gave me and I got some info from Big dave to help guide me too.

there is another guy in san fran who has a modded 83 diesel whos angled tonneau id like to model and improve on looks at least lol.

gonna be a process but nothing crazy, id like to just see 20mpg on freeway is all. I got 19.5 stock, but after everything best is 17.7 on a 980 mile drive lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Did some work after waiting over a month to get my truck back. Installed the new deck, and this weekend front door speakers and a wicked wheel 2 with ebpv delete pedestal etc.

Haven’t installed a stereo in probably 10+ years but not bad to be honest. Even with the old speakers the new deck really improved the sound quality. Can’t wait to change them out this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Well as usual @blue99stroker is helping me lol. Gonna install the riffraff WW2 wheel, non ebpv pedestal, and the little resistor before I head to Idaho again. It’s been really nice having the truck back after her being gone for over a month. I sure don’t miss filling her ya up the gas stations though lol. Just under quarter of a tank cost me $70 lol ?

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Well kind of mad because the non ebpv pedestal from riffraff had a major defect and we couldn’t use it. So I had to install my old one back on lol. But the wheel went well and soon as we realized we weren’t crazy and used my old pedestal, turbo went right on perfectly lol....

Can’t give a true review after only 60 miles with WW2 but better spool, definitely more top end but I need to drive around more seems it doesn’t build more then 20psi so far and I could hit 21 with oem wheel.

We tightened the waste gate 2.5 turns too tho so I’ll drive around and see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Been a little while, but I installed upper ball joint zerks and this little thexton 90degree zerk greaser tip works amazing!

Also about to order 6 cans of fluid film. Might be moving to Idaho within a few weeks and want to keep the clean CA truck rust free as much/long as possible.

6 cans should be enough? I don’t have an air compressor and didn’t want to spend $149 on the 1 gal kit with sprayer and then have to barrow/find one and stuff lol

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
getting prepped for Idaho made me do some research on rust proofing (as best as I could at least). I ended up getting 8 cans of fluid film from lowes and they gave me 10% off each can plus an additional 1.02 off per can because it was on sale.

I used 4 cans and so far I feel Its good enough but I need to get a little hose to spray the inside of the frame by the fuel tank. I couldn't get in there to save my life hahaha. I know the 1 gallon can and sprayer kit are cheaper but no air compressor and switching jobs in CA to Idaho on short notice so figured it was better than nothing.

For those who use anti rust coating more often is it still best to just rinse off the salt couple times a month and then just re-apply fluid film on any spots that were washed off more etc...

Also I was gonna spray the metal above the fender well inserts to try and help but didn't know if those with more experience with road salt had some tips for a guy who hasn't had to deal with salt since 2008 lol.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
4 month update on fluid film-Seems to work really well so far. I see a couple of spots I probably should of sprayed it on a little thicker but once I wash it and re apply I'll know for sure. If anyone has doubts about this stuff it doesn't seem to be affecting the 20yr old paint around my fender wells at all. It has only been 4 months but I figured by now I would see any negatives.

Only thing I see as a disadvantage is it can be a little messy if you crawl under the truck and rub on stuff. Other than that wow! big fan so far. I was gonna order the 1 gallon kit and special sprayer but I only used 4 cans on truck last time so we'll see how far 6 cans go on the truck and the little commuter car.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I am 90% sure I have the orginal shocks on my truck so today finally manned up and spent some coin. Not expecting a huge improvement and my choice was with procomp (same leaf springs). I have bilstiens on other trucks and to be honest didn't ride better at all and cost almost twice the price. plus there is a shock special on 4wheelparts.

fyi its not that great but it broke down like this:

they say 4 shocks with 4 free black boots $174 free shipping. I got 4 shocks and 4 boots in my cart for $197 and change before I noticed the special.

I call because I can't get the special to work and the (shock savings deal) added to a whopping 192 and change hahahaha. saved $5 but had to make a phone call.

Hoping they at least do something but not expecting a huge improvement again.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Going to be doing my summer spruce up project before winter hits again and so far this has been ordered and decided etc...

Already completed:

changed every fluid on the truck EVERY FLUID, new icp sensor, level kit, power stop complete rotor/pad kit, thermostat, and in 20k changed the transmission pan fluid twice because I did it when I first got the truck then about 5k miles later did the john woods valvebody, dual alt upper rad hose, cleaned ebpv sensor (it was NASTY)... so considering the list I have done, parts I have and parts im going to do is there anything else on a basically 20 year old truck that you guys would do before another harsh winter?

Parts I have that are going to be installed:

4 procomp shocks- Mine are the oem and im surprised they are still on it lol.

fuel bowl and fpr rebuild kit- My fuel drain leaks for a week after I changed the fuel filter lol

Parts I ordered:

new overflow tank, lower rad hose, cap,- I have already replaced the coolant, thermostat, and thermostat housing but the other hoses are 19 years old and the truck is going to see some -15 degree weather regularly now so wanted to make sure all the hoses are fresh.

parts im going to order:

most likely cncfabs hpop lines because although I don't have a dripping leak, there is fresh oil in the valley and I replaced the turbo pedestal o rings when I did my ww2 with help from blue99stroker.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Shocks done and pretty easy.

The rears were definitely the original oem motorcraft one’s. The grey color and fluid film coating hideaks and they were shot.

The fronts were aftermarket but said made in USA and couldn’t find a match online and still crap lol.

This weekends plans:

1.Rebuild fuel bowl
2. Replace:
-coolant reservoir + cap
-lower rad hose
-both coolant reservoir hoses
*upper road hose was replaced with dual alt version last year.

May load up some 1023 tunes but kinda over trying tunes with my funky pcm code. She drives just fine in stock and keeps me from getting into trouble lol

Reactions: mhatlen

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Over the last couple of weeks I"

resealed the fuel bow
replaced the coolant hoses and reservoir+cap
changed all 4 shocks

and ordered/have the western gp relay and cncfab lines & tonight i'll have both negative battery cables and some Loctite 680 for the hpop lines.

soon im hoping to clean and regrease the 4x4 hubs and I may see about servicing the needle bearings. One is oem (pass side) the drivers was replaced last year in the hoping of fixing a noise that happened to be a sticky brake caliper.

Im just planning on sprucing up the truck and looking into preventively doing oil cooler seals, re-grease 4x4 hubs. Anyone have an idea of something I may have missed? so far this has been done:

Whats been done
-all new fluids and filters-every single fluid/filter etc....
-new brakes 20k ago, pads, rotors, cleaned/greased slide pins
-resealed fuel bowl &rebuilt fpr
-all new coolant hoses, thermostat/housing
-new icp sensor (mine was soaked with oil)
-resealed turbo/pedestal when did ww2 wheel
-6.0l trans cooler
-replaced driver side needle bearing

what I have planned:
-new battery cables
-western relay
-cncfab hpop lines
-oil cooler

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Been a little while. But did replace both negative battery cables and gp relay. Also did some sandblasting/powder coating with a new grill. Got a pic with oem grill/bumper and then the black 05 modded from with sandblasted/powder coated bumper. Did both front/rear. Next is the wheels.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 134 Posts