Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a diesel again finally! Got this 99 late build 7.3 couple weeks ago. Changed all fluids n filters minus coolant, need to order few more parts.

Does need brakes bad... Gonna go with ford rotars from sunrise and generic pads since I don't tow very much at all.

After that I need to address a Vaccum leak or defective part, either pump, reservoir, solenoid etc. the ac and heat wrok great just stuck on defrost haha.

Also the doors and stuff seal, but anyone ever stick any thicker padding to tighten up the fit with the suicide doors. When you close them they won't move or rattle, but going down a bumpy road it's not bad but not up to my standards haha. More picks soon stuck in Denver til tomkrrow

Attachments

Reactions: comvet42

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also...
I was gonna stick with green coolant and the sca addative, but with a build date of 2/99 I was thinking doing the cat ELC like I did with my previous 6.0.

So I was thinking:

-4 gal of zerex cat elc, ton of distilled water. I'm not doing a chemical just tons of drains and refills til it's clear and clean.
-Thermostat and gasket
-billet thermostat housing and gasket
-dual alternator hose

Someone said I have the early 99 front end, but the late engine. Should I get more numbers from engine or something to make sure?

·
Vendor
13,052 Posts
Door badges actually have nothing to do with the year either. I've seen e99 have fender badge and 2000 have it. My e99 has the door badge.

I think it's just Fords production planners getting rid of excess inventory. Lol.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Door badges actually have nothing to do with the year either. I've seen e99 have fender badge and 2000 have it. My e99 has the door badge.

I think it's just Fords production planners getting rid of excess inventory. Lol.

From research seems you are correct. I leave Denver in couple
Hours I'll see if I have the round or squarish u bolts up front.

Also I read a lot about how I can swap the hub assembly and rotors to a late 99 version. With that being said...

1. Do I need to change out calipers and pads too? Or would it go like this.

Remove old hubs,rotors, install late models and pads/calipers are irrelevant?

2. I have rear disk breaks (thought it was odd for a 99) do I need to leave e99 rotors there or will I need to do custom work to swap to late models?

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ordered new rotors and pads for front and rear. Probably fasted $423 I spent in a long, long time lol... I'll be sure to show you had bad the current rotors are when I take them off. Makes me wonder why the previous owner cared so much about fluids and filters but ignored the brakes.

After that I'll be doing the cat elc swap.

For that I'll need:
4gal elc
Tons of distilled water
Thermostat/gasket
Dual alt hose

Is it a good idea for the billet thermo gasket housing or is that just a shiny want?

·
Registered
904 Posts
yes get the billet housing don't bother with an aftermarket thermostat though. Use a good layer of rtv with the new housing and make sure you have a square oring.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes get the billet housing don't bother with an aftermarket thermostat though. Use a good layer of rtv with the new housing and make sure you have a square oring.

I have an oem thermostat, but waned to verify billet housing was worth it. Next few months are tight til
House goes thru etc.

Thanks for the advjce.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Billet housing is nice. I agree with the 203* stat. I don't really like my oil temps getting 240* heavy towing. Stick with the 185*

Sounds good to me haha... I figured Ford got more right than wrong with the 7.3L.

Thanks again for your help too. My brakes should be here Saturday and slowly but surely my list is getting bigger for when my 1 year no mod bet is done...

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow! Just did front and rear rotors and pads.... Forgot how much work it al was. Wasn't super difficult, just kind of tedious and stuff by myself. But for brakes being. Half the price of motorcraft in really impressed with fit and finish.

Plus rotated tires since they looked like haven't been done in a it...
Next is coolant flush, changing to ELC, dual upper rad hose and new thermostat housing and t stat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I'm sitting in truck waiting for wife to finish her tan and I start digging through papers in glove box. (Only had truck a few wks)

I have the original owners original purchase contract from ford! This dude paid over 36k cash in 1999 for this truck hahaha.

I felt bad. Original owner passed, and family fought over truck so estate manager sold it. But just kinda cool to find something like that in near perfect condition over 17 years old in a glove box...

·
Registered
747 Posts
That's really neat to find.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, while I'm looking for a Vaccum reservoir and waiting for new Vaccum pump I discovered why my supercab on drivers side rattled!

There is a small spot weld at the bottom that broke.... Thinking a rivet or small bolt and nyloc? Nkt sure how much room is there for bolt though...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Id just re weld it.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well replaces the leaky vacuum reservoir and the burnt out vacuum pump and voila! AC IN DA FACE!!! haha feels good and man it must of been like that for long time, lots of dust and stuff.

Next week pwr steering flush with Mercon/Dex III

Brake fluid flush with valvoline synthetic dot 3

Coolant flush (remove green, put in ELC)

Ps anyone know where to get elc cheaper? I used to go to napa but $18-23 a gallon now!! I paid $14 a gallon only 2 years ago for my 6.0 lol...

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple weeks ago changed brake and coolant fluid. Also found out brand new pwr steering pump so that was cool.

Also I replaced my drivers side needle bearing becuase on cold morning I would get a him sound that would go away when I turn my
Hubs in.

But my old needle bearings were fairly nice with Greece. No grooves on axel shaft thankfully.

Next is clean and reseal the camper wheel that came on. I was thinking the clear qwick seal?

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well been a few months but since then removed the camper and she looks like a real pick up now.

Also got a glow plug fault code on bank 1 so blue99stroker offered to help me fix it.

Got 8 glow plugs, 2 UVCH's, and 2 valve cover gaskets and few misc I rings.

She do for an oil change too and she also tower a flat bed trailer of furniture for 6 hours average 15-16mpg not bad for 5-6k crap haha

Attachments

1 - 20 of 134 Posts