Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine alert is not On. Then after engine turns off I start it again and it works for a short time, then happen again

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
There is in throwing parts at it but 99.9% its a CPS sensor or IPR and or IPR Wire Both are super common cause what you mentioned but you need to get a way to diagnose and read the sensor readings. I would personally go on utube and search for Dieseltech rons videos. He walks you through common diagnostics steps and handy equipment iam sorry my computer is freaking out otherwise I would go into mor help sory

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
In a '99, you have a pretty quick & easy test to see if this is your CPS. Next time it does this to you, look at your Tach as you're cranking during a No Start. If the needle doesn't rise-up a bit, showing the slight rpm from the starter motor, then your CPS isn't sending that signal to the PCM either and it isn't going to start (maybe compare what that needle movement is supposed to look like when it's starting normally).

This test Stopped working during the '01 production, some '01's show cranking rpm, but No '02's & 3's will.

Also, you've had the light come on, your truck is trying to tell you it sees a problem, you want to be able to have it direct you.
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.
To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In a '99, you have a pretty quick & easy test to see if this is your CPS. Next time it does this to you, look at your Tach as you're cranking during a No Start. If the needle doesn't rise-up a bit, showing the slight rpm from the starter motor, then your CPS isn't sending that signal to the PCM either and it isn't going to start (maybe compare what that needle movement is supposed to look like when it's starting normally).

This test Stopped working during the '01 production, some '01's show cranking rpm, but No '02's & 3's will.

Also, you've had the light come on, your truck is trying to tell you it sees a problem, you want to be able to have it direct you.
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.
To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

CPS is good. The needle tack rise up a bit during cranking and turn on with good idle rpm. After few minute, turn off suddenly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts