Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 F350 will crank but won't start. I just had the alternator replaced and everything seemed fine until this morning. The wait to start light comes on and then goes off, it will crank but won't fire up and lots of smoke come from the engine area and exhaust. Anyone know what the problem may be?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Simple things first. If your alt went out your batteries may be too low to turn it over fast enough (req 600 rpm I think)

Are you getting tach signal - If not the CPS may be bad. It takes about five minutes and a 10mm socket to change out. It is located about where a timing tab would be on an older points fired gasser.

After that you may need to pull codes and do a little digging. Also check all of your fuses and relays in cab and underhood before assuming anything major is broken.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Also list your location so someone near you may be able to swing some help your way.

.....BTW, Welcome to the org

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
didn't look but I will try it again when I go home for lunch
if it doesnt move, its the CPS (29.00 or so at ford). If it moves, then you may be looking into a fuel problem. We have a member on here that it would crank and crank. It was the fuel pump in the valley of the motor.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Just reread your post. The smoke from the engine area...wow...have no clue there, are your uppipes rusted out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

hello all i have a 96 navistar 7.3 in an international. same complaint as above no crank no start. started in morning and let run for 5 minutes and shut off when i returned. cracked a fuel line seem to be getting fuel. tach signal comes then stops when cranking, gonna get a cps tommorrow monday from international dealer. is the ford gonna be the same??? also whats different from the 7.3 navistar to the 7.3 ford or are they the same ???

·
Registered
402 Posts
hello all i have a 96 navistar 7.3 in an international. same complaint as above no crank no start. started in morning and let run for 5 minutes and shut off when i returned. cracked a fuel line seem to be getting fuel. tach signal comes then stops when cranking, gonna get a cps tommorrow monday from international dealer. is the ford gonna be the same??? also whats different from the 7.3 navistar to the 7.3 ford or are they the same ???
one in the same

·
Registered
776 Posts
As for smoke coming from the engine compartment. It could be the connection between turbo housing and downpipe. If it doesn't have a good tight seal, then you'll be able to see smoke come out of it. (really only noticeable when it's cold starting, cause the smoke's white)

International Navistar made the motors for Ford. (up through the 6.4L) The motors are all the same.

CPS's cause all kinds of problems. If your tach is showing cranking speed, it's probably good. But, if it's showing cranking speed, then not, then showing a speed again, I'd replace it. (it's on it's way out anyways) You don't have to go to an International or Ford dealer to get a CPS. Auto Zone, Napa, etc. should all have them. Many are not made in the US anymore, so they can be hit or miss.

mike

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
if it has smoke.........there is fuel. check your glow plug relay, and the wait to start light means nothing, the glow plugs cycle for almost 2 minutes, i would look here first

1 - 13 of 13 Posts