Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forum, nice to be here. So im starting a big project with my 97 Ford F250HD. I am buying a 89 dodge cummins and putting everything in my truck. I was looking for so help from you guys and see what i can gather. I have plenty of questions so please help me out.:please:

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Welcome to the org.... have you done things like this b4 or is this something new to you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive never swapped but i used to have a 96 psd and did a bunch of after aftermarket and general maintence to her

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
That's awfully ****ing stupid... why would you want to lose the horsepower, torque, aftermarket, high rpm power of the v8 powerstroke?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually man its not stupid because i had a 351 with an auto tranny. Ask before you talk im here hoping to get pprofessional diesel advise thanks

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Hmm.. interesting. What trans are you using? That might be interesting. I personally would have just bought a truck that came w/ the diesel instead of trying to rig everything, but good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well for now im putting the getrag 5 speed in it that is coming with the 89 cummins but its only two wheel drive tranny so eventually find a four wheel drive tranny. The reason im using my 250 for a swap instead of buying a diesel is because i have a lot of work done to the axels and everything underneath. I did the solid axel swap on the front end with a F350 axel. I have 5.13 gears, detroit locker in the rear and welded spiders in the front with lockout hubs. Put disk brakes on the rear instead of the drum breaks. I have F350 rear leaf springs up front to allow more flex to her for crawling and trailin. But when i get the cummins motor in she will be my chick magnet and ill find another mud truck!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Sounds like a good start so far... lots of hard work into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have 375 inch military runflats off a humvee on her with 24 bolt beadlock rims with rock rings and rock sliders under the rocker panels

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
nice!! pics?

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
What are you expecting your top speed to be? Cummins is a low rpm motor and 5.13 gears are super low I saw you want to run 37.5's but have you done the math or do you have a gear vendor or gear splitter? Just thought I'd mention it because my friend wanted to do a cummins swap but he has 4.88's highway speeds would be near redline I believe.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^thats the truth. My cousins 12v tops out at like 80mph... and thats with 3.53 gears or whatever the heck the ratio is. Its pathetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well not bein a smartass but i rarely drive the highway i live on back roads and out iin the sticks so im not looking for speed mostly power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds awesome. Please keep us updated on this project. I am thinking the same swap eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im gonna post my progress in pics and what ive done as soon as i figure out how to post pix. I work out of town but hopefully this weekend i will be going to get the cummins

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Well not bein a smartass but i rarely drive the highway i live on back roads and out iin the sticks so im not looking for speed mostly power.
I wasn't ccallin you one I was just giving you my pprofessional opinion lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree 5.13 are high for any diesel with only 37'' tires. The best part about a diesel is you can run 3.73 with 37" and still have the power to climb a steep hill in 5th, just remember ya Gota load a turbo diesel to get the power out of it. 5.13 is not gona be able to put a load on the engine...hell with 5.13's ull be starting in 3rd like its a granny gear, skippen 4th and there ya got ur self a truck that only needs two gears. I have a friend that has 4.56 with 35" tirrs in his 84 f350 cummins and he hates them cuz it kills his mpg and he can get his turbo to spool unless he's doing a pull.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ive done this swap before. I used a 96p pumped engine and NV4500. Get a governor spring for the old VE pump. Over fill the getrag 1 L and keep the rpms up to prolong Her life. If you can get a hx35 off a newer truck (95 up) with a 12 cm housing. Quick spool.
Use a ford diesel rad and ford intercooler for best results on that end.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts