Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cali version 1997 F250 7.3 with an auto trans that started running rough one morning. It felt like an injector or 2 was not firing and I limped it home. After parking it, I could not get it to restart. I have swapped the CPS, ICP, IPR, visually checked both banks harnesses for wear/melting, topped off the Hpop reservoir, pressure tested the HPOP to 1800 psi or so on cranking, both batteries are currently over 1000 CA, new fuel filter & FPR was rebuilt, fuel pressure is around 5psi, (I was told that is enough for startup by a local shop...) new air filter, and probed all fuses under dash and in main fuse box under the hood 2 times. I sent the IDM to swamps for a test and according to them, it is in great shape. I see the tac moving when cranking but when I have the left valve cover off I can tell the injectors are not spitting oil. All new parts are Ford/Motorcraft. I am still slightly suspicious of the fuel pump, will injectors fire with poor fuel pressure (fuel bowl was full when filter was swapped)? The truck also has an aftermarket chip should I pull it in case it went bad? Time to pull and test the PCM? Time to probe the grounds to pcm and idm? I have never posted before and I'm almost to the point of having it towed and throwing $$$ at a shop.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Definitely physically pull the chip (would have been my first thing) with batteries disconnected. If it turned out to be the PCM, good luck on finding a DPC-312! They are very hard to find and are pinned out completely different that the more common DPC-202. On the fuel pump, fuel pressure when cranking should be at least 25 psi at a minimum crank speed of 100 rpm. Is the CEL illuminated, WTS light coming on? Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely physically pull the chip (would have been my first thing) with batteries disconnected. If it turned out to be the PCM, good luck on finding a DPC-312! They are very hard to find and are pinned out completely different that the more common DPC-202. On the fuel pump, fuel pressure when cranking should be at least 25 psi at a minimum crank speed of 100 rpm. Is the CEL illuminated, WTS light coming on? Cheers!
No dice on pulling the chip. The WTS light is on, no CEL light. It sounds like my mechanical fuel pump might be on its way out with 5 or so psi at cranking... However won't the injectors fire even if the fuel pressure is low? Or did I destroy my injectors because my fuel pressure is low and dry firing the crap out of them did me in? All I can think of is sending the pcm to be evaluated and if it is good then opening my wallet. E fuel and a set of injectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts