Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 f250 7.3 when the temp is cold and I don't plug the block heater in,driving it there is a load noise from the front drivers motor side that sounds like a train running and the power is down, but when I plug the block heater in or after the motor warms up it runs fine, can anyone help.

·
Banned
0 Posts
does the noise go away after it is driven???? does it start normally, or does it crank longer if not plugged in??? what are the average nightime temps when the problem occurs???? and describe the noise better...is it running rough, is a knock, or a miss......and have you had any other concerns. also....is the power just down, or is it running poorly....and is there any smoke. let me know the details and i will do my best to assist you...also, any check engine lights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise does go away after the temp. warms up, and it always start's normally, it starts the same both ways, the average temp when this happens 40 degrees and below, I have no check engine lights on, I haven't noticed any smoke,the noise sounds like a train and when you give it gas it becomes louder, then when you get about up to 30 mile per hour its not as noticeable but when you get back under 30 mph the noise is still there untill it warms up. But when I plug the block heater in and the motor is warm there is no noise.

·
Banned
0 Posts
well, there could be a few things going on, but i would bet you either have an injector on that bank failing, or a under valve cover harness coming disconnected. if you had a dead glow plug controller it would not start well cold, so i would bet it is either the harness or is an injector. the first thing to do is to take both valve covers off and look at the harness' and see if they are not fulley engaging. if they are, you have injector poblems. it could be one injector failing, or all the injector o rings failing. i would doubt it is o rings, as this usually has a hard start cold condition associated with it also. hope this help, and the only way to diag the injector, with no special equipmnt, is to manually disconnect each injector(with valve covers off obviesually) while the engine is missing......hope this helps, and let me know if i can help with anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sounds like ur exhaust valve it closes half way when the temps. get cold it is normal it helps warm the cab and motor faster do u hear a hissing noise when it is cold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do hear some hiising noise, but the otherthing I have noticed it more now since I have a KN filter installed on it, and it seems it comes from that side of the motor, also where is the exhaust valve on the motor located and whats does it look like.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I'd bet its the EBV, its the valve in the exhaust pipe coming out of the turbine side of the turbo. You could unplug it if you wanted to, the plug is right underneath the compressor side of the turbo. You say you installed a K&N, is it just the filter, or is it the FIPK?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the KN filter Kit the Filter and the housing and KN pipe that connects to the Casted pipe that goes to the turbo, it replaced the complete stock filter and housing the only thing stock was the filter indicator that tells when to clean the filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your hearin air being sucked into the air filter if u changed out the stock one and if it is a open one mine does it I put a bullydog air intake in place of the stock one and it makes a noise when u get on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That noise I here from the turbo whining up I didn't here before I installed the KN filter, the other noise is different, it only happens when the motor is cold and I haven't pluged the block heater in, its sounds more like the EBV,like the other person said. But he said to unplug it, will that cause any damage to the motor.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Won't hurt anything to unplug it.

27 Posts
Hey before you start throwing a bunch of parts to this problem listen from experience. I have the same year truck and I threw parts at it for months before doing the obvious 1st.
Keep in mind I have 140k plus miles and I had the injectors replaced. Thought it was fixed since this was done last April but the nighttime temps were over 40 here in WV by then. I drove it all summer and then this winter the same thing. I finally replaced the glow plug timer (it looks like a ford starter relay).
It is located under the shroud where you access the fuel filter. Remove the 4 cap nuts on the shroud and remove it to gain access. It is on the left (passenger side) of the fuel/water separator. It has 2 large wires and 2 small wires on it. I got the part from ford put it on myself in 30 minutes (PS I am no wrench head and it was easy).
A good check to see if this is the problem when it is cold don't plug the truck up and let it set all night. The wait to start light should remain on 20 or 30 seconds or longer in extreme cold but should start right up. If it doesn't and it starts when you leave it plugged in under the same temperature conditions my bet is the timer.
Its job is to apply power to the glow plugs and if it doesn't stay engaged long enough the truck struggles to start and will puke blue smoke when it finally starts.
This is my experience!

Hope this helps... PS the time listed for $100.00 but I got it for $80-$85.

·
Banned
0 Posts
WV Hillbilly 97 superduty said:
Hey before you start throwing a bunch of parts to this problem listen from experience. I have the same year truck and I threw parts at it for months before doing the obvious 1st.
Keep in mind I have 140k plus miles and I had the injectors replaced. Thought it was fixed since this was done last April but the nighttime temps were over 40 here in WV by then. I drove it all summer and then this winter the same thing. I finally replaced the glow plug timer (it looks like a ford starter relay).
It is located under the shroud where you access the fuel filter. Remove the 4 cap nuts on the shroud and remove it to gain access. It is on the left (passenger side) of the fuel/water separator. It has 2 large wires and 2 small wires on it. I got the part from ford put it on myself in 30 minutes (PS I am no wrench head and it was easy).
A good check to see if this is the problem when it is cold don't plug the truck up and let it set all night. The wait to start light should remain on 20 or 30 seconds or longer in extreme cold but should start right up. If it doesn't and it starts when you leave it plugged in under the same temperature conditions my bet is the timer.
Its job is to apply power to the glow plugs and if it doesn't stay engaged long enough the truck struggles to start and will puke blue smoke when it finally starts.
This is my experience!

Hope this helps... PS the time listed for $100.00 but I got it for $80-$85.
if it was a glow plug controller, it probably would not run with reduced power untill the engine warmed up. the glow plugs function is starting the motor. the poor power cold makes me think it is something other than that. usually power is fine with a bad controller as soon as the unburnt fuel (the black smoke) is cleared out, usually less than two minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts