Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking to find my first diesel to pull an RV I bought and everyone is telling me diesel is the way to go, and thats how I came across this great forum you have here. Seems like a helpful community. So from what I gather a lot of people are fond of the 7.3s, and I was reading 99-2000 were the best years to get. Anyways I came across this and yes I know its a 95 not a 99, or a 2000 1995 Ford F350

I'm planning to make the 2 hour trip to check it out and was wondering what are the top things I should be checking? I talked to him and he said it has a new inspection and he's used it to tow his monster truck around, and it has zero rust. I'm very new to diesel so I could use any helpful advise you gentlemen might have to offer in what to look for. BTW how are the transmission on that year?

Thanks

·
Vendor
13,059 Posts
Look up on YouTube for powerstrokehelp
and that guy has some videos as to exactly what your looking for. Some people don't really like him but he does have a lot of useful info.

I have no dog in the hunt and some of his info is questionable but there is slot of good stuff too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
371 Posts
:ORG welcome:
Looks like a clean truck. no mention of miles and no shots of the engine. The usual stuff like any vehicle purchase, lights, switches, AC,.

I got this same advice from this forum when I bought mine. With the engine running take off the oil filter cap and turn it upside down on the valve cover where you took it off and see if gets blown of or just vibrates off.

I'm not sure what kind of Darth vader hat you see on top of the motor but lift up or better take it off (3 nuts take it off on mine) get on a ladder with a flashlight and look down around the fuel bowl and in front of the turbo for any kind of fluid - oil - diesel, you'll just see shiny. (hopefully not though)

look under the motor for oil drips on the ground under the truck and elsewhere it might have been parked. This is a diesel so some oil will be found but it should be so much that a red flag goes up.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I like the stupid huge ranger in the background

Check turbo for pitting, oil fill cap flip for blow by

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Monster Range reminds me of the dude here in WI who put a Saturn on a 4x4 Blazer frame :doh:.

Good price if it checks out. Rust check - look at the lower corners of the radiator core support, where it mounts to the frame. Very common rust spot, and there's NO aftermarket, and crazy expensive from Ford. Also find out if it's the original clutch and dual-mass flywheel, or if it's been replaced with a single-mass.

Hmm, check out the photo shot from behind the left rear of the truck. Front and rear doors seem to be slightly different shades of white. Trick of the light, or has there been some repainting done (i.e. collision damage)?....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great tips. It has 210,000 miles on it. 351fifty oil fill cap flip for blow by, sorry but can you explain what I'm checking for "blow by"? I'm new to the diesel world. Arcturus, so whats bad getting blown off or vibrating off? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for all the great tips. It has 210,000 miles on it. 351fifty oil fill cap flip for blow by, sorry but can you explain what I'm checking for "blow by"? I'm new to the diesel world. Arcturus, so whats bad getting blown off or vibrating off? Thanks again guys!
If the oil filler cap gets blown off, that is blow by. Means mainly that the piston rings or cylinder walls are worn. It is just a test that there may be problem, blowby can also happen by something as simple as a clogged ccv. Crankcase ventilator. That is on the other valve cover. Not as easy to check as the filler cap check though.

Vibrating off just means exactly that. The cap doesn't get blown off it vibrates off by the shaking of the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I checked it out, motor was good and strong and pretty dry. Not really any rust at all, but 1st and 2nd sounded pretty rough. Not sure how much it is to rebuild one or just buy a used one. He would take $6,000 for it, but not sure after hearing the tranny.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do you plan on leaving it stock if so a stock rebuild is in the 1500 dollar range give or take a couple hundred but if ya wanna add power looking at 4k plus depending on what ya need it to hold HP wise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts