Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm thinking about changing out my stock injectors and glow plugs to improve starts and performance. What would you do in my situation? It sounds like I need a different "chip" if I upgrade the injectors to something with more robust power. I love my truck and just need it to run a little bit more efficiently and smoother. It's not a work truck but when I use it to haul stuff she needs to be reliable here in Colorado.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You can do 160/0 and not require tuning but it is HIGHLY recommended. I bet a tuner on it now with stock injectors will surprise you.

You need to do supporting mods first. A 3" downpipe and intake will wake it right up. You have a lot of potential to unlock and you might not need injectors.

I got the 1.0 exhaust housing and billet wheel on my turbo with custom tunes on stock injectors and it tows no problems. Even get better mpg with the turbo upgrade too.

@[email protected] can get you taken care of you. He's taken care of alot of us over the years.

·
Vendor
12,801 Posts
What he said^^^^^^

I have very nice mild upgrade packages for these trucks and will make you never want to get rid of it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Guys,
I'm thinking about changing out my stock injectors and glow plugs to improve starts and performance. What would you do in my situation? It sounds like I need a different "chip" if I upgrade the injectors to something with more robust power. I love my truck and just need it to run a little bit more efficiently and smoother. It's not a work truck but when I use it to haul stuff she needs to be reliable here in Colorado.
Thanks,
Eric
Are you having a cold start issue? First step prior to spending $1k+ on injectors is to make sure your glow plug system is working correctly. I would remove and test all 8 glow plugs (hook to 12v and each GP should glow cherry red within 10 seconds otherwise replace) and if the GP relay is original (more difficult to test) replace with the larger stancor unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can also ohm test the UVCH plugs and see what the glow plug system tells you as well. The under valve cover harness can also cause issues with the glow plugs and injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
That is a little over 15,000 gallons of fuel that has been thru those injectors -- The spray pattern is not as good as when they were new -- if you get high performance injectors or not -- just a new set of injectors will make a noticeable difference

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That is a little over 15,000 gallons of fuel that has been thru those injectors -- The spray pattern is not as good as when they were new -- if you get high performance injectors or not -- just a new set of injectors will make a noticeable difference
15,000 / 8 = 1875 gallons per injector....of diesel...which is more or less oil....a good lubricant. I doubt the injectors are worn out at this point if the truck still runs good. My definition of a worn injector is when you get hard starts, rough running, poor fuel economy, or constant smoke out the exhaust.

Then again, I only spend money when I absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
The pintle and spray holes wear from erosion -- the spray pattern changes with this wear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts