Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 f-250 with 260,000 miles on it. The tranny is a factory replacement. Im not sure when it was replaced. The truck drove fine for the few days that I have had it, but last night it started to act up. It wont shift out of first gear. All the way up to 3000-3200 rpm's and it stays in 1st. If i let off the throttle and get back on it it then shifts but kind of hard. The tranny fluid has a kind of burnt smell to it. Also it has a Banks Transcommand. I unpluged the transcommand and test drove it and nothing changed. I really need some advice b/c im 17 and just got the truck and havent even paid it off yet. Thanks in advance.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Sounds to me like your torque converter is having some big issues with locking up.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i meant to put this in the 94-97 not 99-03 thread.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any suggestiions on what to look at or check???

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 96er years ago. ended up being low fuel line pressure cuz my fuel pump was dying.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
have you checked the tranny fluid to see if its low at all or checked for any leaks just to be sure. Im not sure what else you could really check except to drain the fluid and see if its got a lot of metal shavings in it or anything just to see if anything is getting messed up in that way. Otherwise I think the only other thing you can really do is take it to a tranny shop to get a diagnosis. Im pretty sure thats a TC issue though but I could be wrong

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the fluid is at normal level but has a burnt smell to it. While driving home last night the trans temp never got above 140 wen it was acting up. I will probably drain the fluid soon. Thanks.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
No problem, so the trans is definitely not overheating or anything, I definitely still think its a TC issue thats what makes the most sense even though its odd for it to be going out with the mods you have, but depending on how the truck was treated before you bought it i.e. the guy romped on it all the time, it could make sense as to why the TC might be going out.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck was used to pull a trailer the first 140,ooo miles of its life then after that was an everyday driver according to the guy i bought it off of. Do you know what a normal fuel pressure is? Mine was 5 psi at an idle. also what kind of tranny fluid would it take and how much? Im sure its in the owners manual i just have to look. This is my first diesel so Im new to alot of it, even though i have been around them and in love with them for years. Thanks again.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
It takes 18 quarts of ATF fluid but you have to waste a couple quarts to make sure you get it all purged and replaced so plan on buying 20 quarts and it should be MERCON ATF make sure it is not MERCON V, Ford also warns against a fluid that has a dual MERCON and MERCON V rating so make sure it is just MERCON and you can use either conventional or synthetic, with the smell of the fluid and stuff you never know it could be that the fluid is just really old I know when I changed the tranny/hydraulic fluid in my diesel tractor it was way overdue and it had a very bad smell to it. My truck was towed with for the 114,000 miles before I bought it and the tranny went out at 130,000. Unfortunately Im not too sure about the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks alot psd0389. I plan on dropping the pan tomorrow night. The only bad thing is I have to drive the truck tomorrow so i hope it dont get any worse.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
No problem man thats what were here for, Ive learned a whole lot from this site as well, good luck with the fluid change, hopefully it doesn't get worse, let me know how it turns out and let me know if you have any other questions.

-Matt

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will do that for sure, thanks man.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I just bought a 95 f-250 with 260,000 miles on it. The tranny is a factory replacement. Im not sure when it was replaced. The truck drove fine for the few days that I have had it, but last night it started to act up. It wont shift out of first gear. All the way up to 3000-3200 rpm's and it stays in 1st. If i let off the throttle and get back on it it then shifts but kind of hard. The tranny fluid has a kind of burnt smell to it. Also it has a Banks Transcommand. I unpluged the transcommand and test drove it and nothing changed. I really need some advice b/c im 17 and just got the truck and havent even paid it off yet. Thanks in advance.
That transmission was replace when I bought the truck at 140k but I had it gone through at around 200k because of that same problem. Ended up being the black switch on the drivers side of the transmission that the linkage is hooked too. It was cracked on the back side, water got in and shorted it out. In the glovebox, ther should be a plug to install into the transcommand module to bypass it. Don't just unplug it or it definetely won't shift right. Here is a link where you can get a switch if it is the problem. E4OD-4R100 Switches & solenoids: Bulkpart transmission parts. It is the 9th one down on the page, part# D36410A. Hope this helps. Sorry you are having problems from the get go. It really is a good truck.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i had to drive the truck to school today and on the way there it just did the same thing as before. When i was going to leave, i put it in reverse backed up about 10 feet and heard some grinding. Then a louder pop and reverse went out. so i get home and she still dont have any reverse. In drive the TC or something in the tranny is slipping noticabley. I havent looked at anything yet just came in to eat and im going out there to most likely drop the trans pan. If anyone knows anything that could help Im all ears. I dont have the most knowledge with trannys.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Uh oh thats exactly what happened when my trans went out. I had a loud pop when I put it in reverse and then I no longer had any reverse gear left. Then a week later the forward gears started going out. Unfortunately it sounds like the tranny is just taking a dump, I would get it to a tranny shop soon.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my dad has a friend that rebuilds trannys at the local Ford dealer. he also does trannys on the side at his own garage. I called him and he is gunna look at it for me. He plans on pulling the tranny and im probably gunna get a different tranny put in. He said if you rebuild them 2-3 times parts start to not blend as well and will have more troubles. So i think the truck is going to his shop tomorrow and i will be driving the 1995 Mercury Villager minivan to school =) since i just took the insurance off my other truck.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
haha thats gonna suck driving a minivan, but hey at least youre getting the truck into the shop to get the problem fixed, good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
well my dad has a friend that rebuilds trannys at the local Ford dealer. he also does trannys on the side at his own garage. I called him and he is gunna look at it for me. He plans on pulling the tranny and im probably gunna get a different tranny put in. He said if you rebuild them 2-3 times parts start to not blend as well and will have more troubles. So i think the truck is going to his shop tomorrow and i will be driving the 1995 Mercury Villager minivan to school =) since i just took the insurance off my other truck.
Sorry for the bad luck man. :( I feel bad considering I was involved in finding you the truck and setting stuff up. Hope you're not upset at me or Jess. I did what I could when I had it to keep from having trans. problems other than just installing an aftermarket performance trans. Didn't have the money :doh: or it would have had a suncoast when you bought it. Again, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

·
Banned
733 Posts
You need to know if there is metal in the pan. The pump wears, looses metal and the metal gets stuck in the shift controller valves. I just did my 1996 with all the upgrades, transmission guy took the time to explain some of the problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts