Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
If he's getting the OBD1 codes, I would imagine the OBD2 port has never been activated. I'll have to look around and see if I have any of the 94 DTC info around. Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he's getting the OBD1 codes, I would imagine the OBD2 port has never been activated. I'll have to look around and see if I have any of the 94 DTC info around. Cheers!
It should still come with an OBDII port even if it isn't activated.

Does it have the 460 radiator or the Powerstroke radiator with degas bottle?
I actually have no idea I don't know much about my truck besides the year make and model

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
94 Direct Injection Turbo (DIT or Powerstroke), will have the OBD1 port under the hood and the OBD2 port under the dash. The OBD2 port won't be activated unless the PCM was reflashed (usually by a dealer when in for service for better diagnostic capability ... as was done to my 94). What is the 8th digit of your VIN? If it's an F, it's a PSD. If it's a K, it's a Turbo IDI. I haven't found the DTC information yet (still searching). Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
94 Direct Injection Turbo (DIT or Powerstroke), will have the OBD1 port under the hood and the OBD2 port under the dash. The OBD2 port won't be activated unless the PCM was reflashed (usually by a dealer when in for service for better diagnostic capability ... as was done to my 94). What is the 8th digit of your VIN? If it's an F, it's a PSD. If it's a K, it's a Turbo IDI. I haven't found the DTC information yet (still searching). Cheers!
The 8th digit is f

There are the photos

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Finally found the descriptions (used to have a link to the entire Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PCED) for the 94.5 OBD1 system, but the link died when another forum I'm also on was upgraded). I've attached that list as well as the corresponding OBD2 DTC pinpoint tests for those faults. You'll need to figure out if the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV, the big butterfly valve on the exhaust outlet of the turbo) was previously deleted or disabled). Just looking at the pictures, I would recommend thoroughly inspecting the big orange boot from the intake breather adapter to the turbo's intake. It likes to rip right at the clamps (and ingest dirty air). Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Well boys and girls this is what a true 94.5 looks like for those wondering. That is the old style radiator.

Yes that is the OBDII plug you circled in the pic. Plug in there with a scanner that will read these trucks and see if it's active.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally found the descriptions (used to have a link to the entire Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PCED) for the 94.5 OBD1 system, but the link died when another forum I'm also on was upgraded). I've attached that list as well as the corresponding OBD2 DTC pinpoint tests for those faults. You'll need to figure out if the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV, the big butterfly valve on the exhaust outlet of the turbo) was previously deleted or disabled). Just looking at the pictures, I would recommend thoroughly inspecting the big orange boot from the intake breather adapter to the turbo's intake. It likes to rip right at the clamps (and ingest dirty air). Cheers!
The red boot is ripped so I will be replacing soon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also back pressure regulator was deleted cause it was acting up so that clears up one code the 514

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The orange boot is not available (hasn't been for a long time). Here are a couple of options:

Aftermarket: Riffraff Diesel 94-97 Turbo Intake Boot - Ford 7.3L

Factory: Turbo Intake Hose (Black Updated Hose Kit) (Ford) F7TZ-9C681-AA. Kit comes with new breather adapter, bracket, breather hoses and all clamps and hardware. Intake hose is much stouter than the flimsy orange boot. I've used this kit on both PSDs I've owned. Should be about $99 online.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts