Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how long it should take for my truck to reach operating temp, it seems like it takes 15 minutes. I just wanted to see if any one knows if this is normal or is my thermostat stuck open or is opening up early around 120 or so.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
how much in town driving are you doing?? how much freeway?? how cold it is outside??

those IDI engines heat up quicker than a PSD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is around 70 degrees. In morning I have five minutes of city driving before getting on the highway and it takes a good 15 minutes to get up to normal temp. If I do have to change my thermostat do I have to take of my alternator to get to it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
yeah, that is a long time. i used to have an IDI engine years ago, took less time than that. i would suggest changing the thermostat and go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my truck never gets much above the low line on the gauge. I replaced the engine in august, and did the thermostats then. It still ran cold immediatly after. I've been gettin 16 MPG under load, 17.5 empty do i doesn't seem to be hurtin me

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
have you tried replacing the temp sensor on the engine??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New thermostat

I threw in a new thermostat (195 degrees) the otherday and now it is warming up much faster and even warmer then before. The new thermostat was just a cheap one I picked up from autozone, I hope it will last. I the old one was half way stuck open.
Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts