Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1991 F350 7.3 IDI 2wd Custom Crew

9K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Jake6.0 
#1 ·
My new truck :grin: Just parking this thread here because I got a 6.0 to finish and a lot of other stuff to get done before I can give it much love and do a restoration thread, but someday,,,,

The truck has 180k miles, it's from SC for most of it's life which saved it, because it spent the last 6 years in Wildwood, NJ which if you've ever been there is one of the most corrosive places on earth. The floorboards are Flintstone style, the only thing between the cab and the road is the super thick mats they put in back then, but after that it's not unsavable. The outer rockers are ok, as are the doors and most of the cab, little in the usual places but mostly grindable, looks like only the lower fenders actually need cutting off.

The engine is the jewel. It's got 36k, was in a brand new international schoolbus that sat on a lot until it got scrapped, but not before somebody saved the motor. It is purrrdy. Got put in the truck in 2012 with 13 miles registered on it. I'll get pics soon as it gets delivered.

I bought this because I have a 6.0 that I'm rebuilding (I think the only other thread I started here), and it's not done and I need something to tow stuff with so I got this thing, and as much as I loved learning the 6.0 motor and doing the rebuild this thing just captivates me. It could not be simpler. The motor spins, the fuel pump arm flaps, pumps fuel to the injection pump, the pump spins and squirts fuel down the lines to the spring valve injectors that pop open when the pressure gets high enough. Literally, you connect the tank to the fuel pump and the throttle cable to the injection pump. No turbo, no fuel pump, no intercooler, no PCM, FICM, IPR, no nothing. One wire to turn it on and off and that's it. Mad max woulda killed for this thing, it will survive EMPs and will run on practically any greasy sh!t you pour in it.

Anyway, I digress. Pics to follow at some point :grin: :beer:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Behold it glory :grin:

International 7.3L IDI Diesel

"The 7.3L IDI is based on the 6.9L IDI engine platform, the 7.3L having a marginally larger cylinder bore. The extra displacement resulted in a modest bump in horsepower and just over 20 extra lb-ft of torque. In 1993, a turbocharged version of the engine was released, which pushed torque to nearly 390 lb-ft. Since the 7.3L is a high compression engine, the turbocharged versions proved to be marginally less reliable, as the engine was not originally designed with turbocharging in mind. The 7.3L has slightly larger head bolts than the 6.9L, contributing to a more robust design. The cylinder walls of the 7.3L are thinner than the 6.9L, and as a result cavitation in the water passages is a concern (cavitation is the formation of small vacuum pockets in a liquid, in the case of an engine this can erode the cylinder walls over time). However, using the appropriate SCA/DCA (supplemental coolant additive/diesel coolant additive) eliminates this risk. The 7.3L IDI was replaced mid-model year for 1994, when Ford/International released the 7.3L Power Stroke. The two engines share displacement and dimensional characteristics, but the direct injection Power Stroke is much more than an adaptation of the IDI."

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/idi.html

Attachments

#3 ·
One of the cool parts of researching old stuff like this that was already a has-been when AOL burst on the scene is finding dusty old web pages like "dieselmann's InDirect Injected Diesel Page" ©1998, 1999

Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

#4 ·
Nice. I love my 6.9. The sound of an IDI Cold Start...Mmmmm.

How well does it start? The fuel lines are notorious for developing cracks at the top and causing the system to lose prime after sitting for a few hours. Easy as hell to fix, though. Also think there's a Glow Plug Controller upgrade that you can do but I don't have my info in front of me.

Not trying to 'steal PS.orgs thunder', but you should check out OilBurners.net as they have WAY more IDI info than PS.org.

Have fun!

Reactions: Jake6.0
#5 ·
Thanks! I'll check it out. I looked at it Thursday it was 18 degrees and had been sitting fir days. I tried to start it, gave it a couple cranks and it bucked and didn't catch but pretty sure I just didn't have the starting ritual down cause I turned it over to the owner and it snorted and grunted right to life. The owner had a $7900 bill from 6 yrs ago new motor and all the bolt ons, and only 36k on it.

#6 ·
Someday it will look like this. Whoever owns this one did a nice job on the engine compartment (except for the white tie wraps). This is how I want mine, not even gonna try to add a turbo or turn up the pump or anything. I have a 6.0 for something to make monster power, this is gonna stay bone stock down to the little stickers on the intake snorkel.

Attachments

#7 ·
It's mine! :D Took delivery late this afternoon. Bought the guys whole rig, '06 Forest River Cedar Creek 5th Wheel and 1991 F350 7.3IDI Dually for $10k. The truck will never pull this RV again, that's what my 6-oh is for but it WILL be seeing a complete resto somewhere in the near future.

Just took delivery as it was getting dark, still have to go over it with a fine tooth comb, but from what I've found so far it's not that bad except for the Flintstone floor pans. I'll get better pics when I have some sunlight and a real camera but for now... here's my new toys....

Attachments

Reactions: CrazyS0b
#8 ·
Replaced the sloppy broken steering shaft with a new upgrade replacement all-u-joint shaft from Borgeson. It's a "universal fit" for Bronco. f-150, 250, 350 and requires you cut the DD tube to length and drill for the retaining bolt, but it's a easy job, took a couple hours mostly working myself up to hang upside down working the lower shaft off.

Attachments

Reactions: Kryptic_361
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.