Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a couple months ago we added a 6.9 IDI to the fleet and besides a faulty fuel pump, it's been a really nice truck. But at the moment it's being a booger. Basically we ran the truck off the front tank 100% of the time because the truck is used for short trips normally, we flipped it to the rear tank to see the fuel level and the next day the truck was running like utter garbage, loping, dieing, and gushing fuel out of the rear tank. A filter change cleared up the running problem (bottom half was full of water) but we are still having issues with the rear tank filling up and spewing fuel when the cap is removed. It's normally a 4-6ft and 1-2gallon purge. I don't want to blow the tank up and don't know enough about 6.9's to just dive in. The only thing I fixed was the tank selector valve because it was gummed up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Pushing fuel out of the tank is an odd situation. My only guess would be that when you flipped the switch, it was still pulling from the front tank, but the return lines were returning to the rear tank (which would have to be full). My truck seemed to have done this on me before several times, but it could have been in my head as well (bad fuel senders make it hard to tell).

Otherwise I see no reason it should be overflowing. I dont know if a fuel tank valve can actually do this though...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We replaced the fuel tank selector valve, seems to have worked well. Now on to putting a 7.3 turbo on it...

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
You can use the 7.3 idi turbo, it's a direct bolt on, as for a psd 7.3 it may be a bit of fabbing to get that to stay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts