Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not proud of this, but I bought my 2006 F250 Crew Cab 2WD PSD new and haven't touched the transmission since. No oil changes, pan drops, filter upgrades. Not even a front filter change. I obviously missed that 30K mile maintenance cycle thing once or twice. But now I'm in the process of upgrading to the new style oil pan and filter. Just thought I'd show what things look like with almost 200K miles and not a bit of maintenance. The transmission has continued to work flawlessly. I really don't see anything to be concerned about, which is really surprising. I certainly gave it enough rope to hang itself. The only reason I think it looks this good is because I got a tune for the truck from Tony Gonyon at Tuners Inc. almost immediatlly after buying it. Like 20 miles it. That tune firmed up the shifts. I wonder if having less slip on the clutches helped the wear. Just a thought. I may cut the old filter apart and see what else may be in there.
IMG_20200914_202743.jpg IMG_20200914_202557.jpg IMG_20200914_202446.jpg

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Damn! That does not seem like one would expect after such a long duration without oil change/service.

I have hear the 5R110 is a venerable trans but you my friend, proved it....or got lucky LOL.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
and me with multiple fluid changes and filters before 90,000 and I lost my first tranny at 95k then 15k later a second
WOW!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also had none of the other common failures of these trucks until last month when a long crank when hot started. I replaced one of the dummy plugs I found bad and it's perfect again. I also hadn't touched the brakes for 190K until last month. They were starting to have the problem of not releasing but still had pad left. But not much! Rebuilt everything with new rotors and calipers. I upgraded the coolant at about 80K and added a coolant filter. No problem with the oil cooler or anything related to that yet either. I lost one injector under warranty. Remainder are original. I did loose a vane on the exhaust side of the turbo and had to replace the turbo. But that was the only real expensive failure so far. I also did the green spring upgrade. This is truly a, I'd rather be lucky than good, truck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know... that spring thingy that you do. We're all suppose to be color blind now a days. Right?

And the wife reminded me we also did the cab/bed mounts too. She remembers vividly because she was forced to help and it wasn't fun for either of us.

·
Administrator
29,832 Posts
LOL color-blind ,, good point and I sure would like to elaborate, but I am not allowed to even have an opinion according to the new rules book

glad your wife is a team player I am installing a two post today because mine is not

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a two post Bend Pak but I've never used it with the truck. It gets a LOT of use with the race car though. We're building a new house in the hill country near Austin. But far enough away to not be sucked into Austin taxes or politics. I'll have a detached garage there for wrench turning and wood working. May yank the cab at that point and do some upgrading on things. Right now I just want the truck to be ready for the move from Houston. That's why I've finally gotten around to doing all of this over the last few months.

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
190k on original brakes? Must be a lot of interstate miles.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,255 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing the engine hours on it .......

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Not proud of this, but I bought my 2006 F250 Crew Cab 2WD PSD new and haven't touched the transmission since. No oil changes, pan drops, filter upgrades. Not even a front filter change. I obviously missed that 30K mile maintenance cycle thing once or twice. But now I'm in the process of upgrading to the new style oil pan and filter. Just thought I'd show what things look like with almost 200K miles and not a bit of maintenance. The transmission has continued to work flawlessly. I really don't see anything to be concerned about, which is really surprising. I certainly gave it enough rope to hang itself. The only reason I think it looks this good is because I got a tune for the truck from Tony Gonyon at Tuners Inc. almost immediatlly after buying it. Like 20 miles it. That tune firmed up the shifts. I wonder if having less slip on the clutches helped the wear. Just a thought. I may cut the old filter apart and see what else may be in there. View attachment 769682 View attachment 769683 View attachment 769684 View attachment 769682 View attachment 769683 View attachment 769684
Whats the advantage of the new style pan

·
6,255 Posts
It upgrades the filter to a full flow filtration system.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It upgrades the filter to a full flow filtration system.
Thats a good idea. When did they start using the new style pan?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine hours are 3776. The filtration system upgrade makes a lot of sense and was easy except when Amazon shipped the wrong filter and cost me a day of time because I didn't check it until I was ready to install it. This is a decent video on it but still misses some things.

·
6,255 Posts
That is an average of 50 mph over the life of the truck. That is VERY high - CLEARLY lots of highway miles. That is a BIG contributor to the longevity.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
glad your wife is a team player I am installing a two post today because mine is not
That seems like a good thing. I have a lot of neat tools because my wife doesn’t like getting dirty.

·
6,255 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts