Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 f350 6.7 4.10s 82,790 miles all stock.

We run hotshot alot with our truck.

On our last run I noticed slight, faint 100 /sub 100 rpm fluttering in 6th and one or two usually hard upshifts. Can't say it was constant fluttering never any loss of lockup that I noticed.

Fast forward this week, 2000-2500 miles into the trip, of course long beach Port area the truck just completely lost 75% of trans function.

We were on a time sensitive drop and had to keep rolling. About 2 hrs out of long beach the trans started whining in 6th. CA is a 55mph tow state, so about 60 mph is 1900 rpm. Bad whining, metal on metal sounds. Intermittent harsher moments that would slow the truck harder then the exhaust brake can.

After dropping at the port, the trans would slam into i assume 1st but its unclear. Slams into reverse... like doing neutral drops ...

Got out of there made it to Vegas, ran mostly in 5th which made far lass noise.

Trans Temps have never been redlined or hot even tho 240 happened climbing grade before Vegas today. Never overloaded but regularly 30-35k gross.

Dropped my trailer, limped it to the dealer. Several times had to pull over and restart the truck. Lost all movement, eventually towed in.

Zero trans fluid showing on the dipstick, ford tech says thats enough... yea it was wet and was def burnt smelling.

Dealer offered me $25,000 on it platinum drw f350 82,000 miles.

$8800 repair bill, Ford says nope no warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The codes that it pulled ( don't remember #) were input speeds were wrong for the gear. 5th gear for sure

I'll ask for a print-out as the truck is still there.

Contemplating a 2020 f350 or a 2020 silverado 3500 drw.

I've had a plethora of small / big issues from ac not properly charged/filled to right hand turns/left hand listing-leaning throws cruise /advanced trac off to trac control malf taking off from a stop. Oh and most recently the electronic steering helper wigged out and had my steering cranked at a 45* angle for most of a day. Unhooked batteries for 1+ and it went back. Hey .... what do you expect for $82k

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love people that noticed problems early on but had the green greed monster tell them to keep driving. LMAO

Suck it up, you kept driving it when you knew there was something not right. Your making money....spend it.
Well, feel free to sit on your ui check. Some of us have to keep things rolling.

What I wrote above was a collective idea of how this happened. I doubt many people would notice the things I did,

I came on here to help other avoid a potential $9000 bill.

My condition was slight and I mean rpm flutter here and there on the gauge, nothing that I felt in the seat.

There's a difference between being stupid and being in a no win situation.

But I'm not going to debate whether it was a good idea or not but simply how quickly it went from a barely noticeable issue to metal on metal whining and grinding.

Tech says there was more then enough trans fluid and it smells burnt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
82,790 miles all stock.
We run hotshot alot with our truck.
On our last run I noticed slight, faint 100 /sub 100 rpm fluttering in 6th and one or two usually hard upshifts.
"Tech says there was more then enough trans fluid and it smells burnt."

I'm going to have to agree with Heavy. I'm not going to bash you, but I'm going to tell it like I see it, and frankly...I believe you dug your own hole on this.

1.) 82-83,000 miles is an EXTREME amount of "hot shotting" for a year old truck
That's OTR trucker type mileage or greater. The "average" OTR driver drives 45,000 miles and the longer distance driver drives about 100,000.
You are at 83000... and absolutely kicking the crap out of that truck. Those truckers also invest tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance which it appears you didn't do.

2.) Why did you not take it in when you noticed the 100 rpm +/- fluttering?
Definitely an abnormal condition whether or not you felt it was slipping or locking up

3.) What do you mean by "more then enough trans fluid"?
ENOUGH would have been filled to capacity. When your transmission fluid is low, you are not only reducing friction resistance but you are reducing cooling.

With the "extreme" amount of hot shotting you were doing, a quick gander at that dipstick would have probably meant the world for saving that transmission.

As far as your "feel free to sit on your ui check" comment. How could you possibly infer that someone is on unemployment or that your job is anymore important then anyone else's?
Maybe a little bit of this transmission drama that's going to set you back a few thousand greenbacks will help bring you back down to earth, but heck you couldn't even look at a dipstick.

I would say good luck...but...instead I'll say...good lesson.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
2019 f350 6.7 4.10s 82,790 miles all stock.

$8800 repair bill, Ford says nope no warranty
SO.....ARE YOU BEING TOLD THAT THERE IS NO WARRANTY BECAUSE OF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL.....OR IS THE WARRANTY ON THESE TRUCKS NO LONGER 100,000 MILES ON THE DRIVETRAIN?....

AND NOT TO MONDAY MORNING QUATERBACK.....BUT WAS THERE A FORD DEALERSHIP NEAR WHERE YOU FIRST NOTICED THE ISSUE?....IF SO.....WHAT MADE YOU PASS ON STOPPING THERE?....

·
Premium Member
11,671 Posts
This dude cried in his beer .....left the game cause no one was holding him close. POS as usual. "The vehicle is to blame not my actions"...LMFAO

He's not coming back here anytime soon....RIP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.