Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some guidance regarding a new truck purchase. This would be my first diesel truck so I'm learning a lot as I go.

I'm struggling to find clarification on gooseneck towing capacity for an F350 SRW CrewCab/LongBed style truck.
If anyone would like to chime in w/personal experience or point me in the right direction :grin:

I need to haul approximately 22,000 Lbs (Including trailer weight) on a regular basis and am wondering if the truck has the capability to do so. Looks like a dually could handle it no problem, but given the short distance I would prefer to keep the truck to a SRW in order to use for daily driving and in the city when I commute that way.

The trips hauling that weight are short and sweet approximately 5 miles loaded one way.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well the truck is rated for 20,000LBS so if you are comfortable towing that, go for it. My concern is the trans wanting to die.

·
Registered
145 Posts
5 miles towing loaded? Is it mainly flat? I used to haul 14,000 (total) about 90,000 miles with a dually and around 60,000 miles on a srw. Both did the job just fine. The dually was a little more stable in the mountains. Both stopped and hauled fine, I did keep trailer brakes maintained in top shape. Averaged 300-400 miles a week. Tire wear is the same for a dually or srw, I would only get 20,000 out of rear tires and 40,000 on front. That's why I went to srw, the only benefit I saw was a little more stable in curvy mountain roads, just slow down take your time and you should be ok. And keep the trailer brakes in top shape.

All this towing was with older trucks, 2006 and back. My 14 platinum was way better than my work trucks. I've only hauled about 15,000lbs about 40 miles with my 17 platinum srw, and it would handle a lot more. The 17 made it very easy, and could easily handle more. The new exhaust brake is awesome compared to the older trucks that didn't have it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What are you currently towing with?

Not to offend anyone, but the less experience you have, the bigger the truck you should buy.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Well the truck is rated for 20,000LBS so if you are comfortable towing that, go for it. My concern is the trans wanting to die.
What am I missing here? Why would trans be a concern?

OP, 22k combined? Trucks are 8500-9000 so a 14k trailer? Tow that with any 19 that has a 6.7 badge on side no problem

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
11,647 Posts

OP, 22k combined? Trucks are 8500-9000 so a 14k trailer? Tow that with any 19 that has a 6.7 badge on side no problem

When a person only drives a 7.3L they have no idea what a 6.7L is more than capable of doing.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
OP are you new to goosenecks? I only ask cause you said new to diesel. Gooseneck has benefits of ease and bedspace but tow like crap compared to fifth wheel. I ran a gooseneck on my trailer and switched back. Might try again with the “Gen-Y” absorber, looks interesting. But a hard connection ball sucks. Something to be aware of. If it’s a equipment trailer you may consider using a standard rear hitch. Just worth some research if your getting a new trailer too. I have multiple trailers but my equipment trailer is rated to 16k and I tow 10 often off the rear hitch tows great. But 14k maybe better as gooseneck

·
Registered
801 Posts

When a person only drives a 7.3L they
have no idea what a 6.7L is more than capable of doing.
Okay, thanks for that. I'm assuming he is towing 22,000lbs not 14,000 so I repeat I fear for the trans.

·
Registered
801 Posts

I assume he is pulling 22,000, if he is not then you are correct he is fine. But, until he responds I'm leaving my statement as is

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Ok re-read. Ya 22k can be done with SRW but DRW always better. Still the trans should survive (I hope). My trailer is 24k but i smoked my 06 tranny towing it. The 19 is hooked up to the trailer, 1300 miles of break in complete, first tow Friday and it’s 25 miles up 7% grade at the end.

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That is what I wanted to know, only rated for 20k. Ideally I'd like to be pulling about 22k (16k equipment weight, 6k trailer weight). However I can do a few things to lighten the load an make a couple extra trips to get down to 18k-20k Lbs being towed if needed. Not ideal, but would rather do that a couple times more a week than live with a dually on the trips to the city.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5 miles towing loaded? Is it mainly flat? I used to haul 14,000 (total) about 90,000 miles with a dually and around 60,000 miles on a srw. Both did the job just fine. The dually was a little more stable in the mountains. Both stopped and hauled fine, I did keep trailer brakes maintained in top shape. Averaged 300-400 miles a week. Tire wear is the same for a dually or srw, I would only get 20,000 out of rear tires and 40,000 on front. That's why I went to srw, the only benefit I saw was a little more stable in curvy mountain roads, just slow down take your time and you should be ok. And keep the trailer brakes in top shape.

All this towing was with older trucks, 2006 and back. My 14 platinum was way better than my work trucks. I've only hauled about 15,000lbs about 40 miles with my 17 platinum srw, and it would handle a lot more. The 17 made it very easy, and could easily handle more. The new exhaust brake is awesome compared to the older trucks that didn't have it.
Yes, 5 miles loaded, one way. I can lighten the load and make multiple trips, however I'd like to know what I should realistically be aiming for in terms of load weight to do so without killing my truck, or being unsafe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are you currently towing with?

Not to offend anyone, but the less experience you have, the bigger the truck you should buy.
Not offended at all. Not currently towing, have very little towing experience. I've got some experience with a hosteling tractor, connecting via 5th wheel an moving trailers etc. Not the exact same but I've dealt with bigger rigs is my point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok re-read. Ya 22k can be done with SRW but DRW always better. Still the trans should survive (I hope). My trailer is 24k but i smoked my 06 tranny towing it. The 19 is hooked up to the trailer, 1300 miles of break in complete, first tow Friday and it’s 25 miles up 7% grade at the end.
Regarding your first post, yes new to goosenecks as well. From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong, please) gooseneck towing capacity is higher than that of a 5th wheel, and that is why I was considering that option.

Let me know how the tow goes, 24k is a bit above what I'm doing so it should be fairly comparable.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Regarding your first post, yes new to goosenecks as well. From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong, please) gooseneck towing capacity is higher than that of a 5th wheel, and that is why I was considering that option.

Let me know how the tow goes, 24k is a bit above what I'm doing so it should be fairly comparable.

As far equipment trailers go I think they only come in gooseneck or rear ball hitch so your set with that. With the short tows you’ll be fine. I’d go with 350 SRW from what you’ve posted.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well my only concern for the trans is because they only come with a 3.31 or a 3.55. That puts alot of strain on the transmission. Unlike jetjock you won't have a 4.30 or 4.10. Personally i believe Ford over did their tow ratings. We use 3 6.7s were I work. One has 170,000 on it (2012 f-350 srw) and the trans slips. It's never towed more than 12,500 and it's bone stock. So, my point being if you go buy a 350 srw go somewhere else and get 3.73s or 4.10 swapped in after the purchase.

P.S. how long do you plan to keep the truck? If you are not keeping past like 100k you'll be fine the way it is. Long term longevity is affected not today's reliability.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
4.30s for me, one of the main reasons I went 450 cause I knew I was putting larger tires on. Regearing these trucks is nightmare with the advance trac bs. I know a shop that has done a couple and the truck won’t move unless you select the advance trac off. To fix that you have to tune. To tune you have assume you just voided your engine warrenty.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well you got me there. Being that I have a 7.3 and not a 6.7 I didn't account for advanced Trac...but, like I said, of you don't plan to keep the truck much past 100k-150k you shouldn't have any problems, it's the next guy that MIGHT(keep in mind this is just speculation, I've seen f350s go over 600k on the stock trans. What do I know)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well you got me there. Being that I have a 7.3 and not a 6.7 I didn't account for advanced Trac...but, like I said, of you don't plan to keep the truck much past 100k-150k you shouldn't have any problems, it's the next guy that MIGHT(keep in mind this is just speculation, I've seen f350s go over 600k on the stock trans. What do I know)
Thanks to everyone for the assistance.
I am planning to keep the truck for 5-10 years ideally, 5 years w/my driving averages around 100k miles. If I notice anything beginning to go on the truck I'll surely upgrade prior to any major issues.

If all I have to do is bring my tow weight down to 18k-20k Lbs in order to not be too rough on the truck, I'll likely go that route.

·
Premium Member
10,635 Posts
From reading everything keep the traditional gooseneck trailer. they ride ruff, but you are driving a very short distance and with the new puck system in the 6.7l its a breeze. If you towed 100s of miles a day with a loaded gooseneck, the 5th wheel conversion or air ride addition to the gooseneck setup would be advised. the 6.7l transmission is not even on the same level as the old 4r100 on the 7.3ls. they are similar in the fact they are both transmission but the technology and strength isn't comparable at all.

I love how 5th wheels tow personally, but you have 3x the size/weight of the hitch taking up all that bed space and you are only going a very short distance.

as far as single wheel vs dual wheel not really a big factor in your scenario. You drive mostly unloaded it sounds. so why spend all that extra money on maintenance and wear n tear to daily drive mostly empty. duallies are great for DEADICATED tow rigs but for you I don't see the point. single rear wheel is cheaper maintenance, better fuel economy, TOTALLY capable for the weight you mentioned with short distances, and beyond easier to rotate/replace tires and brakes, easier to park etc.

Keep up on maintenance for the truck and trailer and you'll do just fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts